[comp.sys.mac.apps] White text in Canvas 2.0

blarsen@spider.uio.no (Bjorn Larsen) (05/02/90)

I am futilely attempting to create white text in Canvas 2.0.

I draw a rectangle, and fill it with black. I write text inside
it, and set the foreground color of the text to white. It looks
great on screen. But when I print it it comes out as one solid, black
rectangle. With black text inside it. Not good.

I *hate* programs that produce different results on screen and on
the printer. Could somebody give me tips/workarounds/comforting words?

In advance thanks,

--
Bjorn Larsen                University of Oslo,  Norway
                                             bl@nuug.no

ifan572@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) (05/03/90)

In article <BLARSEN.90May2134658@spider.uio.no> bl@nac.no writes:

>I am futilely attempting to create white text in Canvas 2.0.

Try setting the typestyle of the text to outline, and setting the fill for
the text object to nil.  I haven't tried this with Canvas 2.0, but it works
with several other programs.

cca@newton.physics.purdue.edu (Charles C. Allen) (05/03/90)

>> I am futilely attempting to create white text in Canvas 2.0.

> Try setting the typestyle of the text to outline, and setting the fill for
> the text object to nil.  I haven't tried this with Canvas 2.0, but it works
> with several other programs.

I don't have 2.0 around any more, but in Canvas 2.1 you can do this by
selecting the text object and setting:

   *  fill pattern - white
   *  foreground color - black
   *  background color - white

Charles Allen			Internet: cca@newton.physics.purdue.edu
Department of Physics		HEPnet:   purdnu::allen, fnal::cca
Purdue University		talknet:  317/494-9776
West Lafayette, IN  47907

lee@quincy.cs.umass.edu (Peter Lee) (05/04/90)

   From: cca@newton.physics.purdue.edu (Charles C. Allen)
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.apps
   Date: 3 May 90 04:34:45 GMT

   >> I am futilely attempting to create white text in Canvas 2.0.

   > Try setting the typestyle of the text to outline, and setting the fill for
   > the text object to nil.  I haven't tried this with Canvas 2.0, but it works
   > with several other programs.

   I don't have 2.0 around any more, but in Canvas 2.1 you can do this by
   selecting the text object and setting:

      *  fill pattern - white
      *  foreground color - black
      *  background color - white

Unfortunately, this only works with QuickDraw output devices (like the screen).
If you attempt to print the file out on a PostScript printer, you get black
text on a white background.  Every other attempt I've made to get white text
on a black background has printed out a solid black rectangle.  In the end, I
had to use PageMaker to get the inverted text (I was able to import the rest
from Canvas).  Note: if you choose the postscript 'display' option, you can
get white text on-screen, but it still won't print out that way on the
Laserwriter.

Canvas is my favorite graphics program for the Mac, and I've been using it
since version 1.1, but the inability to print white text on a postscript
printer REALLY frustrates me.  The inability to emulate other quickdraw
features when printing postscript, especially simple bitmaps, also bugs me
alot...

--
|-                       Peter E. Lee, Staff Assistant                       -|
|   Software Development Lab at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst    |

blarsen@spider.uio.no (Bjorn Larsen) (05/04/90)

Thanks for all the answers I have received on my query. I now have
several solutions to my problem.

At the time I asked the question I was running the LaserWriter driver
version 6.0. I also tried with my old v5.2 driver. I tried printing to
all sorts of PS output devices. LaserWriter NTX II, LN03R, LPS-40,
even a Linotronic 300. No go.

One of the first responses I got was from Kenneth Holden Chang
<khcg0492@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> who wrote:

>1) Draw the rectangle. Fill it with black.
>2) Write the text.
>3) Select the text object. Under the "Object" menu, select the "Object..."
>command. Change the Mode to "Bic."
>4) Drag the text over the rectangle. If you don't see anything, do a command-F
>to bring the text to the front.

I tried it, and it worked ok. It seemed a little silly to use BIC
instead of setting the foreground color, but it worked.

Then today I got a letter from Rich Irwin <irwin@oscar.ccm.udel.edu>
that wrote:

>You will need to use the color laserwriter drivers (6.0.1) to get white on
>black output.  Use 'print using color' and all should work fine.

So I switched to the 6.0.1 driver, and lo and behold: it worked!

So now I have both a workaround and a solution. Thanks to you all!

(And thanks to On Location that helped me find the 11 different
LaserWriter drivers that are lying around on the campus network and
determine which was the newest one.)