[comp.sys.mac.apps] double dots in word?????

shimmin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (John Shimmin) (05/07/90)

In article <1448@sys.uea.ac.uk> jrk@sys.uea.ac.uk (Richard Kennaway) writes:
>In article <9004@tank.uchicago.edu> xdab@tank.uchicago.edu (David Baird) writes:
>>In article <108609@psuecl.bitnet> lito@psuecl.bitnet writes:
>>>can someone tell me how to print umlauts and similiar diacritical marks
>>>using ms word??
>>Umlauts are found in almost all Macintosh fonts by the following
>>key stroke combination:
>[describes the option-key combinations for the various decorated letters]
>
>This will only work if the umlauted character you want is in the font.
>The Mac fonts only include a few of the possibilities, not even enough for
>all the European languages.  As the poster being replied to above
>mentioned wanting this for mathematics, I expect he wants to be able to
>add a diacritic to *any* letter.

>To add any diacritic to any letter in Word, I use the "overstrike"
>formula command (command-option-backslash shift-oh).  So to get e.g.
>f-grave, type \O(f,`).  For characters with ascenders, like 'f', you
>also need to give the diacritic a few points of superscripting.  I don't
>know if this is what you're referring to as backspacing, but it works
>for me on a laserwriter.  But I never use fractional widths - I find it
>gives *worse* output.
>
>--
>Richard Kennaway          SYS, University of East Anglia, Norwich, U.K.
>Internet:  jrk@sys.uea.ac.uk		uucp:  ...mcvax!ukc!uea-sys!jrk

Actually, typing an option-u will put an umlat over any subsequently typed
vowel.  I didn't see the original posting, but there are a few option
keystrokes which will put accents over appropriate letters.  For example,
the circumflex accent can be obtained by typing option-i followed by an
appropriate letter (appropriate meaning that the letter can actually
take the accent).  Accent grave = option-` + vowel.  Tilda =
option n + n (or whatever else can take that accent).  You get the picture.

This feature is not a word feature, but a general mac feature.  In addition,
it holds true for the vast majority of fonts, with the obvious exceptions
being symbolic fonts (i.e. symbol, zapf dingbats, mobile) and fun fonts
like San Francisco.

John Shimmin