[comp.sys.mac.apps] Importing and Exporting EPSF Files

leslie@csli.Stanford.EDU (Leslie Kaelbling) (05/09/90)

Does anyone know of a draw program that will allow me to open a drawing,
import some epsf files, draw some objects, then save the result as an
epsf file (containing the imported epsf)?

Canvas allows both importing and exporting, but the exported files cannot
contain an imported file.  If someone could try this experiment on
Freehand or Illustrator, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Leslie Kaelbling
leslie@csli.stanford.edu

jeff@spdcc.COM (Jeff Fabijanic) (05/09/90)

Leslie Kaelbling (leslie@csli.Stanford.EDU) writes:

>Does anyone know of a draw program that will allow me to open a drawing,
>import some epsf files, draw some objects, then save the result as an epsf
>file (containing the imported epsf)?

Sure, both Freehand and Illustrator do this. Freehand usually will not show
you the imported espf files as anything other than boxes (this is not
always true, but the exceptions are arcane and convoluted). Illustrator
does a better job of displaying the imported files, but again, there are
plenty of exceptions. Note that I am not a Postscript guru so I cannot tell
you exactly why this is so - it is just my experience after using both for
several years.

As for saving with the imported espf info *in* the new file - this seems
to depend on how you import it. One can "place" an imported file(s) in an
already opened file, or open the espf file as the base file, or make it the
template, or if your a wiz of a wiz, you can place the espf files' text in
the new file (have several friends that do this all the time). If you simply
make sure that you always have the original and new files together, it
shouldn't make any difference whether the info is *truly* in the file or
just flagged - the display/printout behave the same.

         Jeff (jeff@spdcc.com)