[comp.sys.mac.apps] Drawing thin lines in MacDraw II 1.1

kklw@mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU (Kevin K L WONG) (05/30/90)

I think the 1-point line in MD II (and other drawing apps) is far too
thick, esp for slanting lines. As I know we can draw very thin line
in Postscript (1-point in PS), I just wonder whether we can draw such
lines in MD II or not. I tried 0-point, and it's REALLY zero ie
NOTHING !!

Also, about the arrows... The arrow heads are often not centered
properly in the final print out. It's hard to tell from the screen
even with magnifying picture. Anyone faces the same trouble? Any
suggestions to work around that?

Thank you.
|  Kevin WONG                       |  ACSnet   : kklw@mullian.ee.mu.OZ       |
|  Department of Elec Engineering   |  internet : kklw@mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU    |
|  University of Melbourne          |  uunet    : uunet!munnari!mullian!kklw  |

noah@Apple.COM (Noah Price) (05/30/90)

In article <4308@munnari.oz.au> kklw@mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU (Kevin K L WONG) writes:
>...I just wonder whether we can draw such
>lines in MD II or not. I tried 0-point, and it's REALLY zero ie NOTHING !!

You can use decimal fractions -- I've gotten pretty good lines on the
laserwriter using "0.5" point as the line width.

noah

noah@apple.com                (not the opinions of) Apple Computer, Inc.

edgar@shape.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (05/30/90)

In article <4308@munnari.oz.au> kklw@mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU (Kevin K L WONG) writes:
>I think the 1-point line in MD II (and other drawing apps) is far too
>thick, esp for slanting lines. As I know we can draw very thin line

I use 0.5 point or 0.25 point as line widths.

>Also, about the arrows... The arrow heads are often not centered
>properly in the final print out.

Do you have version 1.1 ? I believe something was fixed on the arrowheads
for that version.  Check the alignment at 400%.
--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics             Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY

eclement@aragorn.inria.fr (Eric Clement) (05/30/90)

WONG) writes:
>...I just wonder whether we can draw such
>lines in MD II or not. I tried 0-point, and it's REALLY zero ie NOTHING !!

I generaly use decimal fractions of milimeter that i set as "rotring"
pens width : 0.1, 0.15, 0.2, 0.5, ... I think you can do the same with inches.

I have not find how to save theses settings to have them when i create a
document from scratch. Has anyone an idea ?

Eric

philip@Kermit.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (05/31/90)

WONG) writes:
> I think the 1-point line in MD II (and other drawing apps) is far too
> thick, esp for slanting lines. As I know we can draw very thin line
> in Postscript (1-point in PS), I just wonder whether we can draw such
> lines in MD II or not. I tried 0-point, and it's REALLY zero ie
> NOTHING !!
Minor correction: 1 point is the same size in PsotScript as on the Mac screen.
If you mean 1 pixel, this isn't a standard number as PostScript is resolution
independent. If you ask for a line too thin for a given printer, you are
given the thinnest possible line instead. This can have unfortunate
consequences - I once had a drawing which looked fine when printed on a laser
printer, but almost disappeared on a Linotronic at over 2000 dots per inch,
because the lines were too thin.

Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

dswt@stl.stc.co.uk (Stewart Tansley) (06/01/90)

In article <7920@mirsa.inria.fr> eclement@aragorn.inria.fr (Eric Clement) writes:
>I have not find how to save theses settings to have them when i create a
>document from scratch. Has anyone an idea ?

Yeh, you just save a stationery document. The best way of doing this is to set
all your required defaults for a new document, then save it named as
'MacDraw II Options' *with* *type* 'stationery'.

This has been discussed recently somewhere in this maze of Mac groups -
probably even here I suspect!

Stewart Tansley     | STC Technology Ltd              |  'Be cool, or be
+44 279 29531 x2763 | London Rd, Harlow, CM17 9NA, UK |    cast out...'
dswt@stl.stc.co.uk  | ...uunet!mcvax!ukc!stl!dswt     | Subdivisions, Rush
   'You know how that rabbit feels - going under your spinning wheels...'