[comp.sys.mac.apps] How to make MS Word ruler active by default?

pollak@ac.dal.ca (05/30/90)

A while back someone posted a tip on how to set Microsoft Word to
default to opening documents with the ruler active.  I extracted
it and now that I need to do this I can't find it.  Of course the
answer is successfully evading me in the manual too.  Can anybody
be of help?

Tim Pollak, Pollak@ac.dal.ca
Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George J. Jefferson) (05/30/90)

In article <1662@ac.dal.ca> pollak@ac.dal.ca writes:
>A while back someone posted a tip on how to set Microsoft Word to
>default to opening documents with the ruler active.  I extracted

Simply open an untitled document, select 'open documents with ruler'
from the comands menu, and press the 'do' button.

It would make far too much sense this to be in the 'prefrences' box :-}

George Jefferson    jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu   george@sol1.lrsm.upenn.edu

preese@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (Phil Reese) (05/30/90)

In article <1662@ac.dal.ca> pollak@ac.dal.ca writes:
>A while back someone posted a tip on how to set Microsoft Word to
>default to opening documents with the ruler active.  I extracted

The very good book on MS Word 4, Word 4 Companion, describes how to do
this.  It is on page 685.  In essence, go to the Commands... item under
Edit.  Then select Open Documents with Ruler in the left box and then
click in Do.  Easy as that.

Phil Reese
Information Systems and Technology
218 Evans Hall
University of California, Berkeley
preese@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu
{decvax,dual,hplabs,sdcsvax,ulysses}!ucbvax!dewey.soe!preese

Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (06/02/90)

In a message of 05/29/90, Pollak@ac.dal.ca (Tim Pollak) wrote -

> A while back someone posted a tip on how to set Microsoft Word to
> default to opening documents with the ruler active.  I extracted
> it and now that I need to do this I can't find it.  Of course the
> answer is successfully evading me in the manual too.  Can anybody
> be of help?

Why, of course.  In the Commands... dialog box (Edit menu, full menus)
there is a command in the list for "Open documents with ruler" or some
such thing.  Simply select this, then press Do.  Voila.

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.2!Adam.Frix