[comp.sys.mac.apps] DiskLock hard disk security

austin@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Richard Austin) (06/06/90)

I am considering buying DiskLock, a hard disk security program from
Fifth Generation Systems (the Suitcase II people).  It sounds like exactly
the sort of utility that I need, but I have a couple of questions:

1) The entire hard disk can be password-protected.  This is probably a
   silly question, but I assume that someone could still boot the Mac from
   a floppy without knowing the password, right?  He just couldn't mount
   the hard disk.

2) How does DiskLock handle remote access?  For example, I believe that
   I can transfer files to and from my Mac via ftp if I leave the NCSA
   Telnet application running (and the Mac on, of course).  If I were to
   leave my Mac on when I left for the evening, and DiskLock activated
   itself after the specified period of inactivity, would I still be able
   to connect to my Mac via ftp?  Telnet already has a way to require a
   password, so I'm not worried about security.  Would DiskLock interfere,
   and if it did, would there be a way for me to give it my password?

I'm also interested in general remarks about DiskLock, good or bad.  Please
reply by email, & I'll post if there's interest.

Thanks!
Richard Austin
austin@zip.eecs.umich.edu

--
Richard Austin
austin@zip.eecs.umich.edu

svc@well.sf.ca.us (Leonard Rosenthol) (06/07/90)

In article <2529@zipeecs.umich.edu> austin@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Richard Austin) writes:
>I have a couple of questions:
>
>1) The entire hard disk can be password-protected.  This is probably a
>   silly question, but I assume that someone could still boot the Mac from
>   a floppy without knowing the password, right?  He just couldn't mount
>   the hard disk.

	Correct.  The Mac is still usuable via floppy or other HD's that
might be mounted, but the DiskLocked drive would be unaccessable w/o the
correct password.

>2) How does DiskLock handle remote access?  For example, I believe that
>   I can transfer files to and from my Mac via ftp if I leave the NCSA
>   Telnet application running (and the Mac on, of course).  If I were to
>   leave my Mac on when I left for the evening, and DiskLock activated
>   itself after the specified period of inactivity, would I still be able
>   to connect to my Mac via ftp?  Telnet already has a way to require a
>   password, so I'm not worried about security.  Would DiskLock interfere,
>   and if it did, would there be a way for me to give it my password?

	When DiskLock engages during usages either automagically from the
DA timeout value or a force manual lock, DiskLock's first task (for the
most part) is to unmount the disk and 'relock' it so that if someone where to
try to reboot or insert a floppy or whatever, the drive would still be locked.
As such, since the drive is unmounted, you could FTP in, but the drive would
not be listed in the drive list since it would not be there, and there would
be no way to unlock it remotely.  Allowing such would be a neat thing, but
impossible to implement.

>I'm also interested in general remarks about DiskLock, good or bad.  Please
>reply by email, & I'll post if there's interest.

	I have been using it for a while now (beta tested the original version)
and I have had no problems with it. It is easy to setup and use and does not
get in the way of my work which is important.  Although it is simple it what
it offers (though VERY secure!), that is what makes it so good.  I don't want/
need all the EXTRA stuff that Empower/AME, etc. offers.  I just want my HD
unusuable by everyoone else...

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025

austing@Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) (06/09/90)

I also use DiskLock, and am extremely pleased with it.  In fact, a DiskLocked
disk can't even be accessed by updating the driver, unlike some other security
software.  DiskLock is EXTREMELY stable, and according to the author, 32-bit
clean!

| Glenn L. Austin               | "Turn too soon, run out of room,          |
| Auto Racing Enthusiast and    |   Turn too late, much better fate"        |
| Communications Toolbox Hacker |   - Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Apple Computer, Inc.          | "Drive slower, race faster" - D. Waltrip  |
| AppleLink:  AUSTIN.GLENN      | All opinions stated above are mine --     |
| Bellnet:    (408) 974-0876    |                who else would want them?  |