[comp.sys.mac.apps] SingleShare/MPW bug???

dm@everexn.uucp (Dan McMullen) (06/01/90)

we've been trying out the singleshare file server package that came thru
comp.binaries.mac not too long ago, and have finally tracked down a fairly
severe problem when saveing files in MPW while singleshare is running.  the'
problem is that (sometimes?) file saves from MPW are ineffective: the file is
NOT updated, though MPW seems to 'think' it is.  anyone else had this problem?

also, as a novice user of file servers, is it normal not to see the icons from
a remote hard drive?  no combinations of protections make this happen for us,
though i can open the desktop file on the remote hard drive no problem.

singleshare seems like a wonderful package, at a reasonable price, IF these
problems can be worked out.  any help will be greatly appreciated.
--
dan mcmullen, everex systems, inc.                              (707) 823-0733
dm@everexn.uu.net                   ...!{well!fico2,pacbell!mslbrb}!everexn!dm

cory@three.MV.COM (Cory Kempf) (06/05/90)

dm@everexn.uucp (Dan McMullen) writes:

>we've been trying out the singleshare file server package that came thru
>comp.binaries.mac not too long ago, and have finally tracked down a fairly
>severe problem when saveing files in MPW while singleshare is running.  the'
>problem is that (sometimes?) file saves from MPW are ineffective: the file is
>NOT updated, though MPW seems to 'think' it is.  anyone else had this problem?

I have noticed a similar interaction between SS and MPW.  When SS was running
or had run, frequently, MPW tools/shellscripts couldn't seem to open
the worksheet...

>also, as a novice user of file servers, is it normal not to see the icons from
>a remote hard drive?  no combinations of protections make this happen for us,
>though i can open the desktop file on the remote hard drive no problem.

This is a bug.

+C
--
Cory Kempf				I do speak for the company (sometimes).
Three Letter Company						603 883 2474

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (06/10/90)

<
< >we've been trying out the singleshare file server package that came thru
< >comp.binaries.mac not too long ago, and have finally tracked down a fairly
< >severe problem when saveing files in MPW while singleshare is running.  the'
< >problem is that (sometimes?) file saves from MPW are ineffective: the file is
< >NOT updated, though MPW seems to 'think' it is.  anyone else had this problem?
<
< I have noticed a similar interaction between SS and MPW.  When SS was running
< or had run, frequently, MPW tools/shellscripts couldn't seem to open
< the worksheet...
<

Please keep in mind that SingleShare is almost useless as soon as you start
MPW because there is a bug in MPW 3.0/3.1 which SingleShare can do nothing to
work around, so it turns itself off at those moments. There are conditions,
however, when SingleShare and the MPW Shell (sort of) miss each other.

SingleShare should have notified you when starting up MPW that you are going
to run into major trouble, and the documentation also states this. Sorry...

< >also, as a novice user of file servers, is it normal not to see the icons from
< >a remote hard drive?  no combinations of protections make this happen for us,
< >though i can open the desktop file on the remote hard drive no problem.
<
< This is a bug.
<
This is correct. :-(
(By the way, you _are_ using the Desktop Manager on the server, right?
 In that case, the Desktop file isn't used anyway and you can delete it or,
  better, replace it with the Desktop file from a newly-formatted floppy.)

Unfortunately, I didn't get the Desktop Manager docs from InsideMac 6 in time,
and some more testing seems to be necessary to isolate this problem.
Part of the difficulty is, as usual, that it only occurs when you're not
debugging. ;-)

A new release of SingleShare, which will include better support for System
6.0.5, will be out in some weeks. Sorry about the delay.

Disclaimer: I am the author of SingleShare.
--
Matthias Urlichs