[comp.sys.mac.apps] The Nightwatch - any experiences?

samuels@cod.NOSC.MIL (Lawrence J. Samuels) (06/05/90)

Does anyone have experience with a hard-disk protection program
called "The Nightwatch", published by Kent Marsh Ltd?  It's a progam
which password-protects hard disks from unauthorized usage, requiring
a password to mount them on the Mac desktop.

I'm interested both in good and bad experiences with the program;  how much did
it get in your way when trying to use the Mac, any incompatibilities
with other products, hard disk repair problems when the disk is inaccessible
to the repair person, etc?

Feel free to email responses to me, or post in reply if you feel it's of
general interest.  If anyone mails me, I send them what info I get, or summarize
to the net if I get enough responses.

Thanks much;  see you around the bit stream!

Larry Samuels
samuels@nosc.mil

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (06/06/90)

In article <1934@cod.NOSC.MIL) samuels@cod.NOSC.MIL (Lawrence J. Samuels) writes:
)
)Does anyone have experience with a hard-disk protection program
)called "The Nightwatch", published by Kent Marsh Ltd?  It's a progam
)which password-protects hard disks from unauthorized usage, requiring
)a password to mount them on the Mac desktop.
)
)I'm interested both in good and bad experiences with the program;  how much did
)it get in your way when trying to use the Mac, any incompatibilities
)with other products, hard disk repair problems when the disk is inaccessible
)to the repair person, etc?

I've been using it for about two years. It meets my needs (I originally
tried MacSafe, but that was far too cumbersome). It's unobtrusive, and
hasn't conflicted with anything yet.
--
Frank Kolnick,
Basis Computer Systems Inc.

brion@cbnewsh.att.com (brion.n.feinberg) (06/08/90)

From article <5439@mnetor.UUCP>, by frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick):
> In article <1934@cod.NOSC.MIL) samuels@cod.NOSC.MIL (Lawrence J. Samuels) writes:
> )
> )Does anyone have experience with a hard-disk protection program
> )called "The Nightwatch", published by Kent Marsh Ltd?  It's a progam
> )which password-protects hard disks from unauthorized usage, requiring
> )a password to mount them on the Mac desktop.
> )
>
> I've been using it for about two years. It meets my needs (I originally
> tried MacSafe, but that was far too cumbersome). It's unobtrusive, and
> hasn't conflicted with anything yet.

My experiences were less positive, but I can't really fault the software.
After using Nightwatch for several months with no problem, something went
wrong.  I'm not sure if the hard disk had a problem or perhaps I stumbled
on a problem with Nightwatch.  In any case, the disk never showed up to the
Nightwatch program.  And with that, there was nothing I could do.  None of
my other programs (such as SUM) were any good, since the disk was still
"locked" by Nightwatch and couldn't be accessed.  I ended up reinitializing
the disk and restoring from my backup (God bless DiskFit!).  I never
tried to figure out what went wrong and I no longer use Nightwatch.

Brion

brion@hounx.att.com

hemstree@handel.CS.Colostate.Edu (charles he hemstreet) (06/11/90)

   From: brion@cbnewsh.att.com (brion.n.feinberg)
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.apps
   Date: 7 Jun 90 20:22:01 GMT

   From article <5439@mnetor.UUCP>, by frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick):
   > In article <1934@cod.NOSC.MIL) samuels@cod.NOSC.MIL (Lawrence J. Samuels) writes:
   > )
   > )Does anyone have experience with a hard-disk protection program
   > )called "The Nightwatch", published by Kent Marsh Ltd?  It's a progam
   > )which password-protects hard disks from unauthorized usage, requiring
   > )a password to mount them on the Mac desktop.
   > )
   >
   > I've been using it for about two years. It meets my needs (I originally
   > tried MacSafe, but that was far too cumbersome). It's unobtrusive, and
   > hasn't conflicted with anything yet.

   My experiences were less positive, but I can't really fault the software.
   After using Nightwatch for several months with no problem, something went
   wrong.  I'm not sure if the hard disk had a problem or perhaps I stumbled
   on a problem with Nightwatch.  In any case, the disk never showed up to the
   Nightwatch program.  And with that, there was nothing I could do.  None of
   my other programs (such as SUM) were any good, since the disk was still
   "locked" by Nightwatch and couldn't be accessed.  I ended up reinitializing
   the disk and restoring from my backup (God bless DiskFit!).  I never
   tried to figure out what went wrong and I no longer use Nightwatch.

   Brion

   brion@hounx.att.com

How about !MacPassword??  It is Shareware and sounds like it works
like Nightwatch.  I am trialing it out and it works great!!  Has
master password and also allows guest limited use.

It's available via Educorp CD-ROM.

Chip

--
! Charles H. Hemstreet IV       !internet: hemstree@handel.cs.Colostate.Edu !