[comp.sys.mac.apps] MS Word: Portrait and Landscape In the Same Document

eberard@bse.com (Edward V. Berard) (06/12/90)

Folks,

I am creating a large (about 100 pages) Microsoft Word 4.0 document.
Parts of the document will have the normal (i.e., protrait) orientation,
while others will have pages which are sideways (i.e., landscape).
I have two questions:

	1. Can I have an MS Word document with mixed (i.e., portrait and
	   landscape) page orientation? If so, how do I do it.

	2. Is there a way I can do this and have the pages consecutively
	   numbered automatically?

Thanks for any help.

				-- Ed

Edward V. Berard                                | Phone: (301) 353-9652
Berard Software Engineering, Inc.               | FAX:   (301) 353-9272
18620 Mateney Road                              | E-Mail: eberard@bse.com
Germantown, Maryland 20874                      |

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George J. Jefferson) (06/13/90)

In article <b.ML4ZAE@bse.com> eberard@bse.com (Edward V. Berard) writes:
>Folks,
>
>I am creating a large (about 100 pages) Microsoft Word 4.0 document.
>Parts of the document will have the normal (i.e., protrait) orientation,
>while others will have pages which are sideways (i.e., landscape).
>I have two questions:
>
>	1. Can I have an MS Word document with mixed (i.e., portrait and
>	   landscape) page orientation? If so, how do I do it.
>
>	2. Is there a way I can do this and have the pages consecutively
>	   numbered automatically?

One way to include a 'landscape' page in a normal document is to create
the landscape page in its own document - copy as picture - paste into a
drawing package - rotate - copy/paste into 'normal' Word document.

Besides the obvious problems, you can't use justified text if you do this.
The only real advantage is that your pages will be automatically numbered
with the page numbers on the 'landscape' page in the same position/orientation
as the rest of the document.  If you have more than one or two pages in
in landscape orientation this will be too much trouble.

A better way>  Create the landscape/portrait sections as seperate documents and
string them together with the 'next file' feature.

Set 'number pages from' to 0 in all but the first 'section' and the pages will
be properly numbered in sequence.  However the page numbers on the 'landscape'
pages will be 'landscaped' (you might want them that way).

If you want all page numbers in the same position/orientation the only
way that I know (using the next file method) is to print everything without
page numbers, then put the document back in the paper tray and print a document
which is just page numbers.

- hope this helps

George Jefferson    jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu   george@sol1.lrsm.upenn.edu