[comp.sys.mac.apps] Need help w/ Public Folder

wab2@po.cwru.edu (Wm. Beasley) (06/15/90)

Help!
Just found out about and downloaded Public Folder, the freebie from Claris
allowing passive file exchange over Appletalk. Followed the instructions
in the docs (such as they were) carefully.

Public folder is now in my system folder, and appears in the chooser as it
should (though no other public folders are selectable). When I reboot,
though, it's icon is x-ed out, indicating that it is NOT installing.

Thought about conflict with Gatekeeper, but renamed to load ahead of
Gatekeeper and it still won't install.

Mac IIcx, 5 megs, system 6.03, Multifinder, Appletalk hookup to printer
plus Ethernet card in slot.

How can I get rid of the X on bootup?

Wm. Beasley  aa002@cleveland.freenet.edu  (Internet)

peirce@claris.com (Michael Peirce) (06/16/90)

In article <1990Jun14.204645.29234@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> wab2@po.cwru.edu (Wm. Beasley) writes:

>Public folder is now in my system folder, and appears in the chooser as it
>should (though no other public folders are selectable). When I reboot,
>though, it's icon is x-ed out, indicating that it is NOT installing.

The overwelming cause of Public Folder not installing the server part is
that it can't find the folder it should publish on the network.

Double check that you actually HAVE a folder named "Public" on your boot
disk.  If it's really there double check that there is no leading or trailing
space.  Also, it shouldn't be called "Public Folder", just "Public".

This type of error accounts for something like 95% of all reported problems
with Public Folder (the rest have to due with the problem with the CD-ROM
drive).

ASIDE: It sure seems to me that INIT's need some way to communicate with
users other than just X-ing themselves out.  I've been thinking about a
mechanism where if there is a problem the user can read about it in the
Chooser (or Control Panel) when they bring up the normal UI.  The UI
would say something like, "Couldn't find a Public Folder" or "AppleTalk
is not turned on."  What do people think of this idea?

-- michael

 Claris Corp. | Michael R. Peirce
 -------------+--------------------------------------

minich@d.cs.okstate.edu (Robert Minich) (06/16/90)

From article <11067@claris.com>, by peirce@claris.com (Michael Peirce):
| ASIDE: It sure seems to me that INIT's need some way to communicate with
| users other than just X-ing themselves out.  I've been thinking about a
| mechanism where if there is a problem the user can read about it in the
| Chooser (or Control Panel) when they bring up the normal UI.  The UI
| would say something like, "Couldn't find a Public Folder" or "AppleTalk
| is not turned on."  What do people think of this idea?

  I like this idea a bit, but wonder about its execution. Would we just
have INITs write to a file in the sys folder called "INIT logfile" that
the cdev/chooser whould read and possibly parse? Also, it would be
really nice if we could get a notification mgr note saying "Some INITs
are having trouble. Check ther Error Log in the Control Panel."
--
| _    /| | Robert Minich             |
| \'o.O'  | Oklahoma State University |