[comp.sys.mac.apps] Filemaker II Stock database update possible?

clubmac@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (Club Mac, Australia's Largest Mac Users Group) (06/30/90)

In article <1990Jun23.110438.1922@vaxa.uwa.oz> a_dent@vaxa.uwa.oz writes:
>I'm trying to work out if you can use Filemaker for a Stock system database,
>where the user wants to enter CHANGES in quantities (ie:  new stock arriving,
>sales) and have that affect the total quantities.

I tried this with my family company, and we have decided to use Sapphire (
running under 4th Dimension) on an SE/30, and put everything onto the Mac.

>Am I missing something obvious or should they be going for a database with a
>full procedural language (eg:  FoxBASE)?

FileMaker II is one of the best Macintosh applications, and is invaluable for
me (I use it to enter all my fax sheets, incoming and outgoing phone calls,
purchase orders) but it has its limits. This is where FoxBase and 4D come in.

>Apart from this problem, Filemaker would suit them perfectly so I'm loath to
>dismiss it out of hand, if the Net can suggest better ways of doing this update

Nope. I suggest 4D, which promises to be faster with the compiler (due RSN).

If you do manage to find a neat solution using FileMaker II, please let us know.

Regards,
| Jason Haines, Vice-President                                                |
| Club Mac - Australia's Largest Macintosh Users Group                        |
| P.O. Box 213, Holme Building, Sydney University, NSW  2006                  |
| INTERNET:clubmac@runxtsa.runx.oz.au  UUCP: uunet!runxtsa.runx.oz.au!clubmac |
| ACSNet:  clubmac@runxtsa.runx.oz                                            |
| Phone: (02) 743-6929                            Club Mac BBS: (02) 907-9198 |
| "This space for rent" - Quotes Are Us                                       |