[comp.sys.mac.apps] need NCSA Image or equivalent for IIfx

knoll@well.sf.ca.us (John Knoll) (06/29/90)

Adobe Photoshop does everything Image does plus a lot more, is a lot faster,
and works great on an FX.

jfmjfm@caen.engin.umich.edu (John F. Mansfield) (06/29/90)

In article <18796@well.sf.ca.us> knoll@well.sf.ca.us (John Knoll) writes:

>Adobe Photoshop does everything Image does plus a lot more, is a lot faster,
>and works great on an FX.
It also costs several hundred dollars and NCSA Image is free.
As is btw Image from NIH and you can get that by ftp from alw.nih.gov
in directory /pub/image

grobbins@nssdcs.gsfc.nasa.gov (Grobbins (IDM)) (06/29/90)

The current version of NCSA Image is 2.1.3.  It works on all Mac IIs.
It is available by anonymous ftp from  ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu  (128.174.20.50)

Thank you to Jenny File of NCSA for this information.

Grobbins      neural@nssdcs.gsfc.nasa.gov

grobbins@nssdcs.gsfc.nasa.gov (Grobbins (IDM)) (06/30/90)

In article <2652@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> neural@nssdcs.gsfc.nasa.gov writes:
>The current version of NCSA Image is 2.1.3.  It works on all Mac IIs.
>It is available by anonymous ftp from  ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu  (128.174.20.50)

Here's more information, for you software junkies...

Grobbins.    grobbins@nssdcs.gsfc.nasa.gov
___

From jfile@ncsa.uiuc.edu Tue Jun 26 11:08:16 1990
Subject: Re: need NCSA Image or equivalent for IIfx

I am Jennie File, technical support for NCSA's software tools. Please
feel free to contact me with any questions and/or comments you might
have about our software.

2.0 is an old version of NCSA Image. Version 2.1.3 does work on a Mac IIfx.
I am sending information of how to obtain our software.

Keep an eye out for NCSA Image v3.0 due out this fall. It will include
the image processing functions of NCSA ImageIP and new 3-D imaging
capabilities.

Jennie File
Technical Support                   jfile@ncsa.uiuc.edu
NCSA Software Tools Group

How to obtain a copy of NCSA SDG software:

1) From a friend

The documentation, program and source code are in the public domain.
Copy, modify, distribute and be happy.

2) Anonymous FTP from   ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu   (128.174.20.50)

You may want to ftp the README file(s) to determine which files to transfer to
your home machine.

a. Log on to a host at your site that is connected to the Internet and is
   running software supporting the FTP command.

b. Invoke FTP on most systems by entering the Internet address of the server:
        ftp ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu
   or
        ftp 128.174.20.50

c. Log in by entering anonymous for the name

d. Enter your local login name for the password.

e. Enter get README.FIRST to transfer the instructions (ASCII) to your locat
   host.

f. Enter quit to exit FTP and return to your local host.

g. Review the README.FIRST file for complete instructions concerning the
   organization of the FTP directories and the procedure you should follow to
   download the README files specific to the application you want.

3) Diskette or Tape

On-disk copies and printed manuals are available for a small fee which covers
materials, handling and postage.   The anonymous FTP tape covers the contents
of all disks.  Orders can only be accepted if accompanied by a check in U.S.
dollars made out to the University of Illinois.  You can get an order form by
contacting:

 NCSA
 Attention: Documentation Orders
 152 Computing Applications Building
 605 E. Springfield Ave.
 Champaign, IL 61820

4) Archive server

Electronic mail a request to archive-server@ncsa.uiuc.edu.  Include in the
subject or message a line with "help" and a line with "index".  This is
a controlled-access server which will email the distribution to you one
segment at a time.  It is slow, but will gateway to BITNET and overseas.

meuchen@grad1.cis.upenn.edu (Paul Eric Menchen) (07/03/90)

In article <1990Jun29.133933.2298@caen.engin.umich.edu> jfmjfm@caen.engin.umich.edu (John F. Mansfield) writes:
>In article <18796@well.sf.ca.us> knoll@well.sf.ca.us (John Knoll) writes:
>>
>>Adobe Photoshop does everything Image does plus a lot more, is a lot faster,
>>and works great on an FX.
>It also costs several hundred dollars and NCSA Image is free.
>As is btw Image from NIH and you can get that by ftp from alw.nih.gov
>in directory /pub/image

I recommend NIH Image as well. Also, I am told that a fix to NCSA
Image is immenent (maybe out now). I've done some tinkering with Adobe
PhotoShop and found it to be good as well, but I don't recall the
analysis features you'll find in either the NCSA or NIH package.
PhotoShop has the benefit of using a hard drive for virtual memory.
Works great if you have the space, but not so great if you don't. I've
worked on 20 meg 24 bit scans, but ran out of space with the 35 meg
ones (35 for scan + 35 virtual for use + other program > hard drive).
There's not much of a chance of doing work at home until I get a new
hard drive.

Paul Eric Menchen
meuchen@grad1.cis.upenn.edu

p.s. Ever try printing one of those 20 meg scans? We left a printer
going for more than a day and then had to do other things. I think we
overloaded the printer - it only has 8 megs of memory, and it didn't
know what to do.