[comp.sys.mac.apps] Excel's Last Cell

carl@aoa.UUCP (Carl Witthoft) (07/05/90)

Sorry if this is a well-known problem. I haven't read this group much
(horrors :=)). I have, on the other hand, R'd TFM a lot w/ no luck.
The question: when I do FormulaSelectSpecial--Last Cell (this is
Excel 2.2 at present), the cell chosen is often 'way out in nothingland.
The only thing the manual says (that I could find) is "this command
selects the cell at intersection of row &column with data or formatting."
But I've tried Clear and even Cutting bunches of rows and columns,
along with copious saves, closes, and re-opens of the document.  Nothing
seems to work to convince Excel that there is no data or formatting in al
those rows and columns.  Is there anything I can do?
Thanks.

--
Alix' Dad ( Carl Witthoft @ Adaptive Optics Associates)
{harvard,ima}!bbn!aoa!carl

dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) (07/07/90)

In article <1310@aoa.UUCP> carl@aoa. () writes:
>The question: when I do FormulaSelectSpecial--Last Cell (this is
>Excel 2.2 at present), the cell chosen is often 'way out in nothingland.
>But I've tried Clear and even Cutting bunches of rows and columns,
>along with copious saves, closes, and re-opens of the document.  Nothing
>seems to work to convince Excel that there is no data or formatting in al
>those rows and columns.  Is there anything I can do?

Clearing (even clearing All) and cutting will not do the trick, what
you need to do is to select all the empty rows from the current
"last cell" upto the cell that really is the last cell with something
in it on the bottom of the spreadsheet and then delete the rows
(command-K on the keyboard). Do the same for empty columns if necessary
and then the final trick before closing and re-opening the sheet is
to be sure that the active cell is one with something in it (that is,
don't leave the cursor out there in nothingland when you close.

poorman@convex1.convex.com (Peter W. Poorman) (07/09/90)

In article <1310@aoa.UUCP> carl@aoa. () writes:
>The question: when I do FormulaSelectSpecial--Last Cell (this is
>Excel 2.2 at present), the cell chosen is often 'way out in nothingland.
>But I've tried Clear and even Cutting bunches of rows and columns,
>along with copious saves, closes, and re-opens of the document.  Nothing
>seems to work to convince Excel that there is no data or formatting in al
>those rows and columns.  Is there anything I can do?

I reported a problem like this back in Excel 1.04.  At that time saving the
worksheet would clear it up.  (Didn't need to close and reopen -- just save.)

--Pete Poorman
  poorman@convex.com

carl@aoa.UUCP (Carl Witthoft) (07/10/90)

In article <37446@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) writes:
>In article <1310@aoa.UUCP> carl@aoa. [that's me!!] writes:
>>The question: when I do FormulaSelectSpecial--Last Cell (this is
>>Excel 2.2 at present), the cell chosen is often 'way out in nothingland.
>>But I've tried Clear and even Cutting bunches of rows and columns,
>>along with copious saves, closes, and re-opens of the document.  Nothing
>>seems to work to convince Excel that there is no data or formatting in al
>>those rows and columns.  Is there anything I can do?
>Clearing (even clearing All) and cutting will not do the trick, what
>you need to do is to select all the empty rows from the current
>"last cell" upto the cell that really is the last cell with something
>in it on the bottom of the spreadsheet and then delete the rows
>(command-K on the keyboard). Do the same for empty columns if necessary
>and then the final trick before closing and re-opening the sheet is
>to be sure that the active cell is one with something in it (that is,
>don't leave the cursor out there in nothingland when you close.
Sorry, but this doesn't work.
I got two useful responses: 1) do the above, and "SaveAs", which
seems to work; 2) get Excel2.2a upgrade.  I'll try that next :=)
chomp