[comp.sys.mac.apps] MS Word style sheets

vanover@bcsaic.UUCP (Jann VanOver) (06/28/90)

In article <YaVYAKK00io7E1AXYK@andrew.cmu.edu> th1r+@andrew.cmu.edu (Thomas Ho) writes:
>I have just converted my Microsoft Word documents from the DOS to the MAc
>environment.  Will I also be able to convert my DOS style sheets?  If not,
>does anyone have a collection of style sheets that s/he would be willing to
>share?  I am particularly interested in a style sheet for outlining.

Be informed -- MS Word style sheets for DOS and for MAC are two
different animals!  DOS style sheets are more like macros, can contain
"instructions" as well as "formatting" information.  With DOS, you can
say "delete this line, then scan to that character, then insert this
string", etc.  With MAC you say "indent it this way, make it that font,
keep it with the next paragraph".

I know this doesn't answer your question (can the style sheets be
converted), but wanted to make sure you knew what was up!

jsp@key.COM (James Preston) (07/06/90)

In article <YaVYAKK00io7E1AXYK@andrew.cmu.edu> th1r+@andrew.cmu.edu (Thomas Ho) writes:
>I have just converted my Microsoft Word documents from the DOS to the MAc
>environment.  Will I also be able to convert my DOS style sheets?  If not,
>does anyone have a collection of style sheets that s/he would be willing to
>share?  I am particularly interested in a style sheet for outlining.

Wow, I question I can answer (of course, I'm sure that at this very moment,
twenty other people are also answering it, so mine will appear to most of the
world as redundant, but since there are no responses to it yet at my site...)

The good news:  Yes, you can convert DOS style sheets to the Mac.
The bad news:  On the Mac, they aren't really style sheets, but become
a part of each separate document.  This loses what I saw as one of the most
powerful features of style sheets:  That you could have ONE style sheet for
MANY documents, and therefore could make ONE change to a style (say, change
the indenting from 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch) and it would instantly be reflected
in ALL the documents.  To make that same ONE change in the Mac world, you have
to individually open EACH of the documents and make the change in each...
I raised this point on this forum a few months ago, and a nice gentlemen from
Microsoft replied saying that, yes, they knew it was a deficiency in the Mac
version, and that maybe they would get around to looking into perhaps maybe
changing it someday.

How to convert:  How did you convert your DOS documents?  I used the File
Exchange to move my DOS documents AND the style sheet files onto my Mac (a
marvelously easy way to do it, if you have 3 1/2" disks on your DOS machine).
Then, from within MSWord, I open the DOS document.  The application is smart
enough to know that it is a DOS document, and not only automatically converts
it, but also asks if there is a DOS style sheet for it.  Answering "yes" puts
up a file dialog, then simply double-clicking on the DOS style sheet file adds
all the styles to the new Mac document.

If you have converted using some other method and missed the above, I am
pretty sure that you can do the following:  Go into "Define styles".  WHILE
THAT DIALOG IS OPEN, select "Open" from the FILE menu, then select the DOS
style sheet file.  This will read all of the style sheet's styles into the
document.

Hope this helps.

--James Preston

SAS102@psuvm.psu.edu (Steven A. Schrader) (07/10/90)

>The bad news:  On the Mac, they aren't really style sheets, but become
>a part of each separate document.  This loses what I saw as one of the most
>powerful features of style sheets:  That you could have ONE style sheet for
>MANY documents, and therefore could make ONE change to a style (say, change
>the indenting from 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch) and it would instantly be reflected
>in ALL the documents.  To make that same ONE change in the Mac world, you have
>to individually open EACH of the documents and make the change in each...

You can though make changes to the default style sheet, and thus have what you
want. If you change the style and then select Change default it will act the
way you wish ...
                   Steven A. Schrader (SAS102 @ Psuvm.Bitnet)
|  "This is stupid, you answer my questions with more questions, you teach    |
|         nothing!"                                                           |
|  "We are taught in order with one's capacity to learn."                     |
|         -- David Carradine in Iron Cricle                                   |