[comp.sys.mac.apps] Filemaker geneology

jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (07/02/90)

Talking about FileMaker: I lost track of its geneology. I hear talking
about FileMaker, FileMaker Plus, FileMaker II, FileMaker 4. Which is
which? Which is the most recent version? Which is best?

(Need to know before I buy)

	Johan
--
Johan Vromans				       jv@mh.nl via internet backbones
Multihouse Automatisering bv		       uucp: ..!{uunet,hp4nl}!mh.nl!jv

derek@leah.Albany.Edu (Derek L. / MacLover) (07/04/90)

In article <JV.90Jul1133705@squirrel.mh.nl> Johan Vromans <jv@mh.nl> writes:
>Talking about FileMaker: I lost track of its geneology. I hear talking
>about FileMaker, FileMaker Plus, FileMaker II, FileMaker 4. Which is
>which? Which is the most recent version? Which is best?

	FileMaker Pro, I believe?  At least, I thought I saw a blurb for it
a few weeks ago... I'll try to dig it up.

>Johan Vromans				       jv@mh.nl via internet backbones

						Derek L.
--
       BITnet: derek@albnyvms          | Macintosh Ho!  /  Monty Python fanatic
  -| InterNet: derek@uacsc1.albany.edu |Consultant & Student Asst.@ SUNY-Albany

KAUFMAN@YaleVM.YCC.Yale.Edu (Elizabeth) (07/05/90)

   FileMaker Pro is the newest version of FileMaker, and, from what
I understand from the reviews, is a significant upgrade from FileMaker II,
which was the version before it.  The changes include being able to edit
records in Layout mode, and a bunch of other things.  I believe I saw it
advertised by Mac Connection.  FileMaker is a great program, but it can be
a space-eater depending on what you use it for.  Good luck!

Elizabeth Kaufman
Kaufman@Yalevm.bitnet -or-
Kaufman@YaleMed.bitnet

Don't I just *wish* that my opinions were also those of my employer....

nilesinc@well.sf.ca.us (Avi Rappoport) (07/06/90)

Johan Vromans <jv@mh.nl> writes:

>Talking about FileMaker: I lost track of its geneology. I hear talking
>about FileMaker, FileMaker Plus, FileMaker II, FileMaker 4. Which is
>which? Which is the most recent version? Which is best?

Claris bought FileMaker, and sells FileMaker II.  FileMaker Pro is coming
out Real Soon Now, but is not shipping yet.  If you have to buy right now,
I suspect that they'll have some kind of free upgrade, otherwise wait till
you can get Pro.

(I'm a contented FileMaker II user)

--
--  Help me justify my online bills: ask me EndNote questions, please!  --
Avi Rappoport                               2000 Hearst, Berkeley, CA 94709

jazzman@claris.com (Sydney R. Polk) (07/11/90)

From article <JV.90Jul1133705@squirrel.mh.nl>, by jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans):

> Talking about FileMaker: I lost track of its geneology. I hear talking
> about FileMaker, FileMaker Plus, FileMaker II, FileMaker 4. Which is
> which? Which is the most recent version? Which is best?
>
> (Need to know before I buy)
The current version is FileMaker II.  However, FileMaker Pro will be
shipping withing 6 weeks.  It's free if you buy FileMaker II now.

--
Syd Polk           | Wherever you go, there you are.
jazzman@claris.com | Let the music be your light.