[comp.sys.mac.apps] File Encryption Utility Wanted

ccc_phil@waikato.ac.nz (07/11/90)

I'm interested in a file encryption utility, so that academic and secretarial
staff here can encrypt (and decrypt, of course) sensitive documents, for
example exams.  I considered partitioning and similar password-operated
utilities, but think encryption is the way to go, as it's more selective and
will even work for floppy disk only Macs (yes, some people still use these,
despite Apple's efforts to prevent this ;-) ).

I prefer public domain, but info on any product would be appreciated.

If this is old hat (I'm fairly new to this group) please send email and I'll
summarise.
--
Phil Etheridge (phil@waikato.ac.nz)                 /\  /\   -+-,--, .--, ._
Computer Services/Mathematics & Statistics         /  \/  \  / /--< /--  /

ccc_phil@waikato.ac.nz (07/13/90)

In article <1006.269b3a23@waikato.ac.nz>, ccc_phil@waikato.ac.nz writes:
> I'm interested in a file encryption utility, so that academic and secretarial
> staff here can encrypt (and decrypt, of course) sensitive documents, for
> example exams.  I considered partitioning and similar password-operated
> utilities, but think encryption is the way to go, as it's more selective and
> will even work for floppy disk only Macs (yes, some people still use these,
> despite Apple's efforts to prevent this ;-) ).
>
> I prefer public domain, but info on any product would be appreciated.

Thanks to all those who responded to my request.  A summary of the products
available follows:

DES -- uses the DES algorithm, shareware, available from sumex-aim.stanford.edu

Stuffit 1.5.1 -- has an encryption option.  Widely available shareware.

SUM II -- includes encryption utility, commercial product.

Crypt-0 -- not tested.  Available from doc.cso.uiuc.edu  (128.174.49.2)
as /pc+mac/mac/MUG/Utilities3.sit.hqx, which includes DES.

After trying them out, I decided that they're either too slow or clumsy for the
users.  Most won't bother to use it if it's a hassle.  This brings me back to
the orginal partition/password utilities.  One of the most frequently mentioned
was a shareware INIT called *MacPassword*, which I would very much like to try.
There was a postal address given somehwere in netland, but I would much prefer
an e-mail address or better still, a site I can anonymous FTP it from.  Any
info will be appreciated.