[comp.sys.mac.apps] Postscript

robbins@rice.edu (Thomas Robbins) (05/31/90)

Several posters in comp.sys.mac have referred to the capability of
MS Word 4.0 to print postscript files inside of a Word document, but I
have been unable to get this to work.

I am trying to get a postscript graphic into a Word document. The graphic
comes from a non-Mac machine (Matlab graph on a Sun 3/50), and the
ps file produced included the following comment:

% To make this file into an Adobe Encapsulated PostScript (EPS)
% file, remove the 'initgraphics', 'erasepage', and 'copypage' commands.

My question is, do I want EPS, or do I want to leave it as 'pure' postscript?
And could someone please tell me how the heck I put this into my Word
document? I don't know much about postscript, and I find the manual for
MS Word to be fairly cryptic in its explanation... :-)

Thanks in advance, all.

--
Tom Robbins                          |         Youth is wasted on the young.
robbins@owlnet.rice.edu              |         - George Bernard Shaw

mocko@marlin.NOSC.MIL (Gary S. Mocko) (05/31/90)

In article <8274@brazos.Rice.edu> robbins@owlnet.rice.edu (Tom Robbins) writes:

>And could someone please tell me how the heck I put this into my Word
>document? I don't know much about postscript, and I find the manual for
>MS Word to be fairly cryptic in its explanation... :-)

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

cut and paste the EPSF document into the Word document.  select the EPSF part
and type in the Style name =PostScript= [no '=' and capital 'S'!].  the style
will be set to something like 10pt, bold, hidden [the hidden part shouldn't
be changed, but i believe you can change the font type].

this works back to MS Word 3.01.

...gary

kovar@popvax.harvard.edu (David C. Kovar) (07/18/90)

  I am trying to incorporate an image created with Page Maker 4.0 into
a Microsoft Word 4.0 document. I can get the image to print correctly,
along with the normal text, but they always show up on different pages.
Playing around with "Print Postscript on top" results in the image printing
but not the text. Deleting the "showpage" from the ENDPAGE def results in
text but no image. Anything else and the image comes out on one page and the
text on the other. This is quite frustrating. I've made it work before,
albeit with a PageMaker 3.0 document, but I can't do it now. Any suggestions
would be most welcome.

-David C. Kovar
	Consultant				ARPA: kovar@popvax.harvard.edu
	Eclectic Associates			BITNET: corwin@harvarda.bitnet
	Ma Bell: 617-643-3373			MacNET: DKovar

         "It is easier to get forgiveness than permission."
[All opinions expressed are my own. Noone else assumes responsibility for me.]