[comp.sys.mac.apps] Sound exciter

roskill@cs.umass.edu (07/26/90)

From: roskill@cs.umass.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.synth
Subject: Sound exciter and other stuff
Date: 24 Jul 90 22:19:07 GMT
Sender: news@dime.cs.umass.edu

 I just got my newletter from Passport and they finally gave
good details on their product Sound Exciter.  For those of you
who don't know, this handy product turns your Macintosh into
an 8-voice, dynamically allocated sampler.  It can multisample,
can receive on 8 midi channels at once, and works with MIDI manager
so that you can sequence the sounds.

Ok....this is a wonderful idea in software, but the sounds are still
Macintosh 8-bit.  I was wondering if anyone knows of a device similar
to this for the Mac II series that is 16-bit.  It would be so nice
to be freed from the "different disks for different computers" thang
that happens between me and my sampler.  I would love be able to
work completely on the mac.  The advantages are wonderful.  You could
edit your stuff visually without having to transfer sounds back and
forth and you can actually store sounds with the music.

Does anyone know of such a beast?  I've looked into the Digidesign
board, but it doesn't do any of the stuff I want (i.e. multisampling,
receive on 8 midi channels...etc.)

Just wondering,

Damian

| Damian Roskill                  |   "Straight outta Amherst!   |
| Specular International, Inc.    |    The Makers of Infini-D!   |
| Roskill@cs.umass.edu            |   Raytracing for the Mac II  |
| My opinions are my own...       |                              |