[comp.sys.mac.apps] Backup Software that preserves AppleShare Privs

t1f4387@star.tamu.edu (Michael Farlow) (07/18/90)

I am looking to gather information on any and all Hard Disk Backup applications
that will also preserve the priviledges that are setup for AppleShare.  I have
several servers that are sorely in need backing up, and I rather not have to
sit for several hours fixing the privs if I ever hafta restore from backup.

So, if you all could e-mail to me (preferred) and suggestions regarding
software packages, I would appreciated it.  Be sure to include the Name of the
package, the approximate price, and pros/cons of the package.

Thank you, and good hunting.

					    -=-Captain Video

\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`
                             '`                  '`
This intonation of wonderful '`  TTTTTTTTTTTTTT  '`  DISCLAIMER: Just the same
thoughts was brought to you  '`  T     TT     T  '`  as DATclaier and DEM-
by:			     '`        TT        '`  claimmers over there.
    			     '`    A   TT M   M  '`
Michael Farlow `88           '`   A A  TT MM MM  '`  (Basically, Only I am
Texas A&M University         '`  AAAAA TT M M M  '`   responsible for what was
t1f4387@venus.tamu.edu       '`  A   A TT M   M  '`   said, not my employer)
                             '`                  '`
`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\`\

    I may be full of sh*t, but at least I am consistently
        full of the *SAME* sh*t.    --Michael Freeman

jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) (07/22/90)

t1f4387@star.tamu.edu (Michael Farlow) writes:
>I am looking to gather information on any and all Hard Disk Backup applications
>that will also preserve the priviledges that are setup for AppleShare.

I too am interested in this.  It should also back up all the administrative
stuff that isn't visible from a network node, and should allow backup to
multiple syquest cartridges.  It must be possible to perform backups from
a network node to a cartridge locally connected to the node.  Is there
anything like this out there?

--
Jim Wright
jwright@quonset.cfht.hawaii.edu

jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) (07/26/90)

On that elusive search for a good network backup program...

We called Fifth Generation about FastBack II, and this is what
we found out:

| Turns out it is a
| tape drive with a 186MB cartridge plus the software to run it. You get
| the whole deal for an educational discount price of $767.25. Their tech
| support people said it will definately backup all the network info, but you
| have to shut down the file server to do it.

I can see a reason for shutting down the server, and we could probably
live with it.  But it would be better if we had a choice of "live" or
"static" backup.  We also have a number of syquest drives, and would like
to backup to them.  Finally, we need to be able to perform the backup
from a workstation rather than the server (which has no monitor/keyboard/
mouse).  Is there anything out there that will work?

--

craig@Unify.Com (Craig Isaacs) (07/27/90)

In article <jwright.648935820@quonset> jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) writes:
>On that elusive search for a good network backup program...
>
>We called Fifth Generation about FastBack II, and this is what
>we found out:
[stuff deleted]

Have you tried Dantz Software?  I think their package, Retrospect,
does it.  Also, I read something about a full network version
coming out about now (in MacWEEK's last page :).

Their number: 415-849-0293

Good luck.

Craig

>--
>Jim Wright
>jwright@quonset.cfht.hawaii.edu
>Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope Corp.

--
Craig Isaacs        *Unify Corporation*        internet: craig@unify.UUCP
voice: (916) 920-9092                    ...!{csusac,pyramid}!unify!craig