[comp.sys.mac.apps] Problem with linked cell references in Wingz 1.1

Q8N@psuvm.psu.edu (Scott D. Camp) (07/30/90)

I am having one of those 'simple' problems that I can never seem to find the
solution for. I have three worksheets with raw data on them, and I want to do
some manipulations on the data in a new worksheet. So, for example, I want to
take the ratio of two cells from each of the worksheets and place it in the
new worksheet.

So for the data from worksheet 1, I go to cell b2, enter the simple formula:

='worksheet 1:c2'/'worksheet 1:b2'

press enter, copy the formula, paste the result into a range of cells (taking
advantage of relative cell references), and everything works fine.

So now I have a column of cells from worksheet 1 expressing the ratio I want.

Now the problem. I go to cell c2 on the new worksheet, enter another simple
formula:

='worksheet 2:c2'/'worksheet 2:b2'

press enter, copy the formula, paste the result into a range of cells (again
trying to take advantage of relative cell references), and everything fails
to work fine.

The only cell that has the correctly computed ratio is cell c2. The other
cells all have the same value as cell c2, even though the formulas look OK
in the Entry Bar (in my case they increment by 1 row as they should).

If I create a new worksheet, the stuff from worksheet 2 works fine. It only
messes up on the worksheet where I previously had pasted the ratios from
worksheet 1.

BTW, I can get the proper ratios into the cells by simply going to the cell,
clicking anywhere in the formula in the Entry Bar, and then adding and
deleting a space. When I now move out of this cell, the proper ratio fills
in. (This is a much less than desirable solution since I have many of these
ratios to compute--I have given a simply example here.)

So what am I missing?

Thanks for any and all help.

Scott D. Camp   Q8N@PSUVM.PSU.EDU
The Pennsylvania State University
305 Oswald Tower
University Park, PA  16802
814-863-0121

cn4gr8ag@carina.unm.edu (Bob Knudson) (07/30/90)

In article <90210.214531Q8N@psuvm.psu.edu> Q8N@psuvm.psu.edu (Scott D. Camp) writes:

>BTW, I can get the proper ratios into the cells by simply going to the cell,
>clicking anywhere in the formula in the Entry Bar, and then adding and
>deleting a space. When I now move out of this cell, the proper ratio fills
>in. (This is a much less than desirable solution since I have many of these
>ratios to compute--I have given a simply example here.)
>
>So what am I missing?

It appears that a manual recalc will solve your problem.

Bob Knudson