[comp.sys.mac.apps] MS Word: FIND in footnotes

GFX@psuvm.psu.edu (07/30/90)

Word's spell-checker scans footnotes after the body of text.  But the Find
commands ignores footnotes (unless you open the footnote section to search
it).  Is there a way to perform a global search/replace that would include
footnotes?  Thanks.  Stephane

man@vali.cs.brown.edu (Mark H. Nodine) (07/30/90)

In article <90210.222529GFX@psuvm.psu.edu>, GFX@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
|>Is there a way to perform a global search/replace that would include
|>footnotes?

The easiest thing is probably to save the file in interchange (RTF)
format, open it (saying "No" to the "Interpret RTF" dialog box), do the
search/replace, save it again, and open it (saying "Yes" to the
"Interpret RTF" dialog box).

	--Mark

bowler@athena.mit.edu (albert smith) (07/31/90)

In article <46175@brunix.UUCP> man@vali.cs.brown.edu (Mark H. Nodine) writes:
>In article <90210.222529GFX@psuvm.psu.edu>, GFX@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>|>Is there a way to perform a global search/replace that would include
>|>footnotes?
>
>The easiest thing is probably to save the file in interchange (RTF)
>format, open it (saying "No" to the "Interpret RTF" dialog box), do the
>search/replace, save it again, and open it (saying "Yes" to the
>"Interpret RTF" dialog box).
>
>	--Mark

I am not sure that this works but I will say it anyway.  (I can't check
right now.)  If you look at the document in page view can't the global
find be done easily.

albert smith

--
___________________________________
albert smith, bowler@athena.mit.edu

GFX@psuvm.psu.edu (07/31/90)

In article <1990Jul30.171347.937@athena.mit.edu>, bowler@athena.mit.edu (albert
smith) says:

>>The easiest thing is probably to save the file in interchange (RTF)
>>format, open it (saying "No" to the "Interpret RTF" dialog box), do the
>>search/replace, save it again, and open it (saying "Yes" to the
>>"Interpret RTF" dialog box).

   Would work, but takes more time than performing 2 searches (body of text
   and then footnote window)

>I am not sure that this works but I will say it anyway.  (I can't check
>right now.)  If you look at the document in page view can't the global
>find be done easily.

  Good idea... but FIND skips the footnote :(

  Oh, well, it's no big deal...

Stephane