[comp.sys.mac.apps] Fastback II 2.1 problems?

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) (07/26/90)

jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) writes:

>On that elusive search for a good network backup program...

>We called Fifth Generation about FastBack II, and this is what

I use F-B II Version 2.10 (latest, as far as I know; Jan 90 version) a
great deal, and have some problems.  It, for no discernible reason,
locks up while backing up, either to tape or floppy, occasionally.
Admittedly, I have a large drive (210M used of 330M), but I'm under
single-finder 6.0.3/6.0 with Desktop Manager.  Has anyone else tracked
this down more?

Should I upgrade to 6.0.5?

I'm rather disgruntled by several other features (or not) of F-B and
thought I'd ask other's opinions:

--If you have a jumbo-full drive with >6,000 files on it (sigh), it
takes about ten minutes to scan the directory, and you cannot abort the
filename scan halfway through 'n' keep those already scanned.

--I can't make it work with the Teac 60 Mbyte SCSI external tape drive.
It formats & erases tapes OK, but then bombs out with an error "unable
to write to tape correctly" after trying to actually back up for a
while.

--Compression is worse than useless: it's <10% efficient, and takes
*three times* longer on my Plus.

--Backup performance in background under MultiFinder (which I no longer
call MultiCrasher: 6.1B9 is *really stable*) is jerky, slow and
generally obnoxious.

--One cannot 2clik on a folder in Backup File Choose and have it choose
all subfolders.  Grr.  Nor does this view give you a total backup size.

Comments?

	Alex

P.S. Comments from Retrospect users are welcome; I don't have a copy to
compare.  Besides, when I back up people's systems, F-B seems by far the
more popular (not to say reliable) choice.  SUM Backup seems most
reliable, but it won't back up by folder name.
--
		Alex Pournelle, freelance thinker
		Also: Workman & Associates, Data recovery for PCs, Macs, others

carlo@eagle.cvs.rochester.edu (Carlo Tiana) (07/27/90)

Here I was, about to post to ask which backup software people are using,
and I come across an article like this. And I thought FastBackII was one of
the good ones!
I know this question is a tough one, and a lot is probably up to personal
preference, but any views would be welcome. If the dfefinitive summary of
features and likes/dislikes already exists, could someone please mail it to
me? If not, e-mail me all your views (gasp!) and I will summarize!
BTW: my setup is a IIci with 210Mb drive; I would like to do full backups
to Syquest cartridges and incrementals to HD floppies. Does this sound
reasonable?

Thank you in advance for all your replies/comments!
Carlo.

carlo@cvs.rochester.edu

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (07/31/90)

In article <1990Jul26.083232.14547@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us>, alex@grian (Alex Pournelle) writes:
>P.S. Comments from Retrospect users are welcome; I don't have a copy to
>compare.  Besides, when I back up people's systems, F-B seems by far the
>more popular (not to say reliable) choice.  SUM Backup seems most
>reliable, but it won't back up by folder name.

I switched from FB to Retrospect and am very happy that I did.  I,
too, suffered from occasional crashes in FastBack (running under
Finder with no INITs, so INIT conflicts certainly weren't the
problem), both while backing up and restoring.  Crashing while
restoring was unsettling, to say the least...  :-(

Retrospect is a pleasure to use, and has the additional benefit of
allowing true archiving, not just backing up.  FB has no notion of
multiple archives; in fact, the program seems to be designed so that
there is no way of maintaining multiple archives for a single volume.

Retrospect is not without problems, though.  Its user interface for
selecting certain files but not others is certainly not intuitive,
though it can be learned.  And it handles file verification (reading
back the backup and comparing to the source) in a very safe, but time
consuming way for floppies, since in all cases it starts at the
beginning of the backup session and reads back each file in turn.
Makes sense for tapes, certainly, but not really for floppies.

Also, certain operations are a tad slow on a Plus, but acceptable.
Scanning an archive and matching files (to see which need to be backed
up) can take a while on a Plus if you have a large disk.  Window
updating is also a little sluggish on a Plus.

But it seems rock solid and very flexible, and works very nicely under
Multifinder.  I don't regret for a minute switching from FastBack.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

jacob@latcs1.oz.au (Jacob L. Cybulski) (08/02/90)

Hey, more people unhappy about Fastback II.  Once I was a very happy user of
Fastback I which was supplied with free of charge with my Rodime drive, then
I saw Fastback II.  No I decided not to upgrade - the new version is a real
step backwards, I could not make a successful recovery from the backup I
took as a test.  The result of this is that I am still a happy user of
Fastback I.

Jacob

P.S. I wonder how hany people TRY to RECOVER their data as a test,
have you ever tried it with your backup program? Just wait until
your drive is gone, he he he...

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) (08/02/90)

carlo@eagle.cvs.rochester.edu (Carlo Tiana) writes:

>Here I was, about to post to ask which backup software people are using,
>and I come across an article like this. And I thought FastBackII was one of
>the good ones!

Don't get me wrong, I like F-B II quite a bit.  It has these few
problems, but it certainly fills the bill for data-storage, safely.  And
it doesn't lose that data, ever, that I can find.  So don't immediately
knock it off the list.

	Alex
--
		Alex Pournelle, freelance thinker
		Also: Workman & Associates, Data recovery for PCs, Macs, others
		...elroy!grian!alex; BIX: alex; voice: (818) 791-7979
		fax: (818) 794-2297    bbs: 791-1013; 8N1 24/12/3

DARWEES@gecrdvm1.crd.ge.com (08/02/90)

I too am VERY disappointed with FastBack II.  I lost one file and one folder's
worth of files when restoring.  The interface is poor an unintuitive as well.
I received Fastback I with my Rodime HD and was really looking forward to versi
on II.  Boy am I glad I didn't spend my money.  If I use Stuffit and segment my
 archives, I can get a better backup.

-Mike Darweesh