[comp.sys.mac.apps] SuperClock 3.9 Problem

wiseman@Tellabs.COM (Jeff Wiseman) (07/31/90)

I recently tried the newly distributed SuperClock version 3.9. I've had some
minor problems with it (at least they seem to be related) and I wanted to know
if anyone else hase seen aomething like it.

The most obvious problem is that during startup, the SuperClock init ison seems
to mess up the "Icon march" process across the screen. The Icon that follows
SuperClock's always seems to get misplaced on the screen (usually on top of the
superclock icon).

It may have been a damaged floppy since I received a "Needs repair" once or
twice with it, also, this floppy (carrying a stuffed version of superclock) was
inserted in a machine that had the WDEF A virus on it, although I'm pretty sure
the floppy was locked at the time (Thanks J! Disinfectant 2.0 to the rescue!
:-).

Was there not some discussion a little ways back regarding some
incompatabilities of this new version of SuperClock? Anybody?

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM

hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu (David Hairston) (07/31/90)

[wiseman@Tellabs.COM (Jeff Wiseman) writes:]
[] I recently tried the newly distributed SuperClock version 3.9. I've had
[] someminor problems with it (at least they seem to be related) and I
[] wanted to know if anyone else hase seen aomething like it.
[]
[] The most obvious problem is that during startup, the SuperClock init
[] ison seems to mess up the "Icon march" process across the screen. The
[] Icon that follows SuperClock's always seems to get misplaced on the
[] screen (usually on top of the superclock icon).

i use SuperClock 3.9 with the "show icon at startup" option turned off
since i use around 24 to 36 init/cdevs.  it isn't a problem when used
this way.

[] Was there not some discussion a little ways back regarding some
[] incompatabilities of this new version of SuperClock? Anybody?

SuperClock seems very stable (to me).  it was stable in 3.8 also,
except for the MultiFinder launch bug.  anybody else?

  -dave-
hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu

jsimon@voodoo.ucsb.edu (08/01/90)

-Message-Text-Follows-
In article <3199@tellab5.tellabs.com>, wiseman@Tellabs.COM (Jeff Wiseman) writes...

>I recently tried the newly distributed SuperClock version 3.9. I've had some
>minor problems with it (at least they seem to be related) and I wanted to know
>if anyone else hase seen aomething like it.
>
>The most obvious problem is that during startup, the SuperClock init ison seems
>to mess up the "Icon march" process across the screen. The Icon that follows
>SuperClock's always seems to get misplaced on the screen (usually on top of the
>superclock icon).

I've had no problems with SuperClock 3.9 on a Mac Plus (4M) and tons of
inits.

Jonathan Simon
Physics Dept.
U.C.S.B.

rob@cbnewsk.att.com (rob) (08/02/90)

From article <6039@hub.ucsb.edu>, by jsimon@voodoo.ucsb.edu:
> -Message-Text-Follows-
> In article <3199@tellab5.tellabs.com>, wiseman@Tellabs.COM (Jeff Wiseman) writes...
>>
>>I recently tried the newly distributed SuperClock version 3.9. I've had some
>>minor problems with it (at least they seem to be related) and I wanted to know
>>if anyone else hase seen aomething like it.
>>
>>The most obvious problem is that during startup, the SuperClock init ison seems
>>to mess up the "Icon march" process across the screen. The Icon that follows
>>SuperClock's always seems to get misplaced on the screen (usually on top of the
>>superclock icon).
>

> I've had no problems with SuperClock 3.9 on a Mac Plus (4M) and tons of
> inits.
>
> Jonathan Simon
> Physics Dept.
> U.C.S.B.
I have found that SuperClock 3.9 conflicts with MacServe 2.5.
Configuration: Mac+, 4megs memory, Gatekeeper, Gatekeeper Aid, MacServe,
	       SuperClock 3.9
I have tried loading inits in various orders and the only way I can use
MacServe is to toss SuperClock. Too bad.....
.....rob
(Rob Coben; currently contracting to AT&T; reachable at rob@homxc.att.com)

mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (08/02/90)

In article <1990Aug1.204041.19674@cbnewsk.att.com> rob@cbnewsk.att.com (rob) writes:

>I have found that SuperClock 3.9 conflicts with MacServe 2.5.
>Configuration: Mac+, 4megs memory, Gatekeeper, Gatekeeper Aid, MacServe,
>	       SuperClock 3.9
>I have tried loading inits in various orders and the only way I can use
>MacServe is to toss SuperClock. Too bad.....
>.....rob
>(Rob Coben; currently contracting to AT&T; reachable at rob@homxc.att.com)

I just installed Macserve 2.5 and I have no problems. My Config:

Server Node:
Mac SE
System 6.0.3
Macserve 2.5
Superclock 3.8
Public Folder 1.0
BroadCast

User Node:
Mac II
system 6.0.5
SuperClock 3.9
Macserver 2.5

I don't have gatekeeper but I have about a dozen other inits.

Are you having problems on the server or a user node?

What kind of problems are you having?

It might be GateKeeper.

Matthew Mora                |   my Mac  Matt_Mora@sri.com
SRI International           |  my unix  mxmora@unix.sri.com

rob@cbnewsk.att.com (rob) (08/03/90)

From article <14805@unix.SRI.COM>, by mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora):
> In article <1990Aug1.204041.19674@cbnewsk.att.com> rob@cbnewsk.att.com (rob) writes:
>
>>I have found that SuperClock 3.9 conflicts with MacServe 2.5.
>>Configuration: Mac+, 4megs memory, Gatekeeper, Gatekeeper Aid, MacServe,
>>	       SuperClock 3.9
>>I have tried loading inits in various orders and the only way I can use
>>MacServe is to toss SuperClock. Too bad.....
>>.....rob
>>(Rob Coben; currently contracting to AT&T; reachable at rob@homxc.att.com)
>

> I just installed Macserve 2.5 and I have no problems. My Config:
>
> Server Node:
> Mac SE
> System 6.0.3
> Macserve 2.5
> Superclock 3.8
> Public Folder 1.0
> BroadCast
>
> User Node:
> Mac II
> system 6.0.5
> SuperClock 3.9
> Macserver 2.5
>
> I don't have gatekeeper but I have about a dozen other inits.
>
> Are you having problems on the server or a user node?
>
> What kind of problems are you having?
>
> It might be GateKeeper.
>
> --
> Matthew Mora                |   my Mac  Matt_Mora@sri.com
> SRI International           |  my unix  mxmora@unix.sri.com

My problem was on the server......
.....rob

du4@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Ted Goldstein) (08/04/90)

In article <HAIRSTON.90Jul30192800@henry.ece.cmu.edu> hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu (David Hairston) writes:

>SuperClock seems very stable (to me).  it was stable in 3.8 also,
>except for the MultiFinder launch bug.  anybody else?
>
>  -dave-
>hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu

There was one major (for me anyway) incompatability problem in 3.8 that
I was hoping was fixed in 3.9, but I found out is still there. When typing
in MS Word 4.0 the clock only updates as keystrokes are made. When you stop
typing, the clock stops, when you hit a key again, the clock jumps to the
correct time. I seem to remember someone else mentioning this problem before,
and that it was fixed, but the copy of Superclock 3.9 that I just downloaded
still behaves the same. Anyone have any suggestions?  BTW I am running a
Mac II, System 6.04 and only around 7 very common inits like Suitcase,
Disinfectant, Dimmer, Talking Moose, etc.

--
Ted Goldstein                            E-mail: du4@mace.cc.purdue.edu
Network and Systems Admninistrator       Phone : (317) 494-9070

eby@pegasus.ATT.COM (Robert P. Eby) (08/05/90)

In article <5260@mace.cc.purdue.edu> du4@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Ted Goldstein)
writes:
>There was one major (for me anyway) incompatability problem in 3.8 that
>I was hoping was fixed in 3.9, but I found out is still there. When typing
>in MS Word 4.0 the clock only updates as keystrokes are made. When you stop
>typing, the clock stops, when you hit a key again, the clock jumps to the
>correct time.

This may be a problem with MS Word 4.0.  If the foreground app doesn't give
SuperClock any cycles, then SuperClock can't update the clock.  I've seen
the same problem with AppMaker, but most other applications seem to
cooperate.

Robert P. Eby			UUCP:   att!pegasus!eby
AT&T Bell Laboratories		Domain: eby@pegasus.ATT.COM