[comp.sys.mac.apps] Hilarious Disinfectant 2.0

rq02+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Quadrel) (07/13/90)

Have you seen the "About Disinfectant" option under the Apple menu for
Disinfectant 2.0???  I fell off my chair laughing!  Nice touch, John!
Rich

edgar@shape.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (07/13/90)

In article <oab=bvC00WB88TN0NP@andrew.cmu.edu> rq02+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Quadrel) writes:
>Have you seen the "About Disinfectant" option under the Apple menu for
>Disinfectant 2.0???  I fell off my chair laughing!  Nice touch, John!

I guess the tune is supposed to be Sousa's "Liberty Bell" as in Monty Python.
But I think it's not quite right.

--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics             Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY

wgadsby@gara.une.oz.au (William Gadsby Guest) (07/13/90)

In article <oab=bvC00WB88TN0NP@andrew.cmu.edu> rq02+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Quadrel) writes:
>Have you seen the "About Disinfectant" option under the Apple menu for
>Disinfectant 2.0???  I fell off my chair laughing!  Nice touch, John!
>Rich

Yes, very good - especially now with sound fx. Actuallyy, this was also in
version 1.8 (and earlier?) - you just clicked on the disinfectant icon.

Peter

henry@chinet.chi.il.us (Henry C. Schmitt) (07/14/90)

In article <1990Jul12.182744.18753@zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu> edgar@shape.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) writes:
>In article <oab=bvC00WB88TN0NP@andrew.cmu.edu> rq02+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Quadrel) writes:
>>Have you seen the "About Disinfectant" option under the Apple menu for
>>Disinfectant 2.0???  I fell off my chair laughing!  Nice touch, John!
>
>I guess the tune is supposed to be Sousa's "Liberty Bell" as in
>Monty Python.
>But I think it's not quite right.

That's been in there since 1.0!! (Without the music)  For those of
you who haven't gotten 2.0 yet (do so right away) and want to see
what we're talking about, just click on the icon.

Yes the music _is_ supposed to be the Sousa march used by Monty
Python, but as I've never heard any rendition of it other than the
one used by MP, I couldn't comment on it "correctness."
--
  H3nry C. Schmitt     | CompuServe: 72275,1456  (Rarely)
                       | GEnie: H.Schmitt  (Occasionally)
 Royal Inn of Yoruba   | UUCP: Henry@chinet.chi.il.us  (Best Bet)

jln@acns.nwu.edu (John Norstad) (07/15/90)

I just discovered that the Sousa "Liberty Bell" tune does indeed sound
slightly wrong on a Mac IIfx, and only on a Mac IIfx!  I don't know why
yet.  We don't have a IIfx here that I can use for testing (yet), so it's
going to be difficult for me to figure this one out.  I'm not doing
anything at all strange - just using the new 6.0.2 Sound Manager to
asynchronously play a sequence of notes and rests in the standard vanilla
fashion.  It works fine on the SE, II, IIx, IIcx, and IIci.  It only
screws up on the IIfx.  Strange.

Anybody out there know anything special about the Sound Manager on the
IIfx?

John Norstad
Academic Computing and Network Services
Northwestern University
jln@acns.nwu.edu

blm@6sceng.UUCP (Brian Matthews) (07/15/90)

In article <oab=bvC00WB88TN0NP@andrew.cmu.edu> rq02+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Quadrel) writes:
|Have you seen the "About Disinfectant" option under the Apple menu for
|Disinfectant 2.0???  I fell off my chair laughing!  Nice touch, John!
|Rich

I applaud John for his efforts on all of the versions of Disinfectant
(especially 2.0), and About Disinfectant is clever the first time you see
it, but all things considered, I could use the 20K or so of disk space the
graphics and sound take in much better ways.  Just one man's opinion...
--
Brian L. Matthews	blm@6sceng.UUCP

jln@acns.nwu.edu (John Norstad) (07/16/90)

In article <452@6sceng.UUCP> blm@6sceng.UUCP (Brian Matthews) writes:
> I could use the 20K or so of disk space the
> graphics and sound take in much better ways.  Just one man's opinion...

I was waiting for some to make this complaint, which I suppose is
justified.  But 20K (which is about the right number, by the way) is only
about 7% of the total space occupied by the entire application, which I
felt wasn't too much out of line.

kscott@cgl.ucsf.edu (Kevin Scott) (07/16/90)

In <9751@accuvax.nwu.edu> jln@acns.nwu.edu (John Norstad) writes:
>I was waiting for some to make this complaint, which I suppose is
>justified.  But 20K (which is about the right number, by the way) is only
>about 7% of the total space occupied by the entire application, which I
>felt wasn't too much out of line.

I have to admit I love the about box.  At the same time, I also understand how
hard it is to fit several virus tools on a disk to bring to someone's dead
machine.   What would be nice would be a program to take out the extra 20
kilobytes, preferably posted near disinfectant.  THis will enlarge the scope of
those who know about the about box, theywill take a look before deciding
if they want to keep it (I'll keep it on my hard drive), but it will
take away the fun and surprise of discovering the wonderful about box.

george@swbatl.sbc.com (George D. Nincehelser) (07/16/90)

In article <kscott.648095624@locke.mmwb.ucsf.edu> kscott@cgl.ucsf.edu (Kevin Scott) writes:
>In article <452@6sceng.UUCP> blm@6sceng.UUCP (Brian Matthews) writes:
>> I could use the 20K or so of disk space the
>> graphics and sound take in much better ways.  Just one man's opinion...
>
>In <9751@accuvax.nwu.edu> jln@acns.nwu.edu (John Norstad) writes:
>>I was waiting for some to make this complaint, which I suppose is
>>justified.  But 20K (which is about the right number, by the way) is only
>>about 7% of the total space occupied by the entire application, which I
>>felt wasn't too much out of line.
>
>I have to admit I love the about box.  At the same time, I also understand how
>hard it is to fit several virus tools on a disk to bring to someone's dead
>machine.   What would be nice would be a program to take out the extra 20
>kilobytes, preferably posted near disinfectant.  THis will enlarge the scope of
>those who know about the about box, theywill take a look before deciding
>if they want to keep it (I'll keep it on my hard drive), but it will
>take away the fun and surprise of discovering the wonderful about box.

Yeesh!  I don't like the direction this is going.  John wrote a
wonderful and useful program and is giving it away free for the
benefit off all, yet some folks are bitching about a measly 20K
of disk space!

John, Disinfectant is great!  The about box is fine!  Keep up the
good work!  I'm sure we all appreciate it!

Now, to anyone thinking of mucking up John's program to fit their
personal taste: DON'T DO IT!!!!  There is no good reason to cut out
20K of code.  If space is a problem, put Disinfectant on its own
disk.  A bootable floppy with Disinfectant alone is a good idea anyway!

If people start changing Disinfectant, we *will* start to have problems.
No longer could one be sure if they had the clean, original version.
Kind of defeats the purpose of a virus protection program, doesn't it?

Let's keep Disinfectant clean.  Not only is it a good idea to protect
ourselves, but let's do it out of respect for John's work.
--
   /   George D. Nincehelser           \  uunet!swbatl!george       \
  / /   Southwestern Bell Telephone     \  Phone: (314) 235-6544     \

chi@tybalt.caltech.edu (chi-bo) (07/16/90)

In article <1990Jul16.032446.15840@swbatl.sbc.com> george@swbatl.UUCP (George D. Nincehelser) writes:

>Yeesh!  I don't like the direction this is going.  John wrote a
>wonderful and useful program and is giving it away free for the
>benefit off all, yet some folks are bitching about a measly 20K
>of disk space!
>
>John, Disinfectant is great!  The about box is fine!  Keep up the
>good work!  I'm sure we all appreciate it!

I'd like to personally agree with all of the previous statements.

>Now, to anyone thinking of mucking up John's program to fit their
>personal taste: DON'T DO IT!!!!  There is no good reason to cut out
>20K of code.  If space is a problem, put Disinfectant on its own
>disk.  A bootable floppy with Disinfectant alone is a good idea anyway!
>
>If people start changing Disinfectant, we *will* start to have problems.
>No longer could one be sure if they had the clean, original version.
>Kind of defeats the purpose of a virus protection program, doesn't it?

If somebody changes Disinfectant, they themselves will have a
problem.  Recall that Disinfectant does a checksum on itself
to verify that it has not been corrupted.  Any change to the
program will result in a wrong checksum computation.  Any
utility changing Disinfectant in such a way as to allow the
change (ie by changing the checksum routine) runs the risk
of allowing somebody to more easily decipher the checksum,
thereby defeating that mechanism in the first place.

---
chi@tybalt.caltech.edu		delta chi
Disclaimer: hey!  I don't know what I'm talking about!

macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Chris Silverberg) (07/16/90)

BM> I could use the 20K or so of disk space the graphics and sound take
BM> in much better ways. Just one man's opinion...

20K? 20K?

Perhaps about five years ago, 20K could buy you alot. It just ain't worth
it now. Sure, i'm concerned about saving a megabyte here or there... but
20K? Pleeze......

 ._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.
   Chris Silverberg                     AOL:   Silverberg
   Worcester Polytechnic Institute      GEnie: C.Silverberg
   INTERNET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu         SYSOP: Main Street U.S.A. BBS
   FIDONET:  322/575.1                         508.832.7725  (1200/2400)

jln@acns.nwu.edu (John Norstad) (07/16/90)

In article <1990Jul16.032446.15840@swbatl.sbc.com> george@swbatl.sbc.com
(George D. Nincehelser) writes:
> Yeesh!  I don't like the direction this is going.  John wrote a
> wonderful and useful program and is giving it away free for the
> benefit off all, yet some folks are bitching about a measly 20K
> of disk space!

Just because my program is free doesn't mean it's beyond criticism.  The
large size of version 2.0 is one of its drawbacks, and the person who
complained had a valid point.  I was concerned about this problem during
development, and I wish there was something reasonable I could do about
it.  I pity the poor folks who must download it from CompuServe or
AppleLink or wherever using 2400 baud modems - it takes half an hour!  (As
opposed to 28 seconds to get it via anonymous FTP from sumex-aim to my Mac
IIci desktop using SU-Mac/IP.  Hey, when's the rest of the world going to
get networked anyway?  Isn't it about time?)

Version 2.0 will fit on an 800K startup "Virus Tools" floppy along with
stock System and Finder files from Apple's System Software 6.0.5 System
Tools disk, with 44K to spare.  This isn't much room left, but it's enough
for a bootable emergency floppy.  People with floppy-only systems who want
to be able to print have to build a special startup disk without the
Finder file to make room for a printer driver and the Imagewriter spool
file (see the manual for details).  2.0 is usable on a single-floppy system
with no hard drive, but I'm the first to admit that it's a bit painful.

It would be possible for me to start releasing Disinfectant in pieces - a
minimal application on one file, the help text on a second file, the INIT
on a third file, the About window resources on a fourth file, etc., etc.

The reason I don't want to do this is that people will inevitably begin
losing pieces, using pieces from different releases, posting only some of
the pieces to bulletin boards, etc.  For electronically distributed free
software like mine there's a big advantage to having the entire package in
a single file.  After careful consideration I decided that this advantage
is more important than the disadvantages mentioned above.

One possibility which we considered but have not yet implemented is
compressing the resources which contain the text for the manual.  This
would save perhaps 50K on disk, although it wouldn't help the size of the
Stuffed version which people have to download.  Maybe this will make it
into some future version.

John Norstad
Academic Computing and Network Services
Northwestern University
jln@acns.nwu.edu

unhd (USENET News System) (07/16/90)

Has anyone noticed that Disinfectant 2.0 will no longer fit on a floppy
with the minimum software for all macs.  In fact, it wont fit with the
minimum software for just my Mac II.  (I'm talking about system 6.0.5)
Has anyone found an acceptable solution?

tjb

Thomas J. Baker                              USENET: uunet!unhd!tjb
Computing and Information Services           BITNET: T_BAKER@UNHH.BITNET
Kingsbury Hall, University of New Hampshire  Future: tjb@unhd.unh.edu
Durham, NH 03824                             Voice: (603) 862-4490

blm@6sceng.UUCP (Brian Matthews) (07/17/90)

Well, as expected, there was a lot of reaction to my comments that I'd
rather not have the fancy About box in Disinfectant 2.0, and have the
20K of disk space instead.

First, a couple of general comments:

1.  I think all of the versions of Disinfectant have been great, particularly
    2.0.  I use the application and I use the INIT.  John (and all of those
    involved in Disinfectant) have done a great service to the Mac community
    by providing Disinfectant.

2.  On the other hand, no program, no matter how wonderful or how great
    the author is, is immune from constructive criticism.  I simply saw
    an area where I thought Disinfectant could be a little better, and I
    posted my opinion.

Now some specific responses to various articles:

In article <14039@wpi.wpi.edu> macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Chris Silverberg) writes:
|Perhaps about five years ago, 20K could buy you alot. It just ain't worth
|it now. Sure, i'm concerned about saving a megabyte here or there... but
|20K? Pleeze......

I just took a quick look at my hard disk, and I have about 150 applications.
If only a third of those spend 20K on about boxes, that's 1Meg.  20K alone
may not be much, but it adds up quickly.

Also, Disinfectant is in a slightly different class than other applications,
because one of its uses is on a "virus eradicator" floppy.  On floppies,
20K becomes very significant.

And as a general note, it's comments like "but 20K? Pleeze......" that
result in the huge applications we see from Microsoft and others, and the
huge systems we see from Apple.

In article <1990Jul16.032446.15840@swbatl.sbc.com> george@swbatl.sbc.com
(George D. Nincehelser) writes:
|Yeesh!  I don't like the direction this is going.  John wrote a
|wonderful and useful program and is giving it away free for the
|benefit off all, yet some folks are bitching about a measly 20K
|of disk space!

First, I wasn't "bitching", I was offering constructive criticism.  Some
people don't seem to know the difference.  Second, as I stated above,
Disinfectant *is* wonderful and useful and free, but that doesn't make
it immune from criticism.  And third, you may consider 20K of disk space
"measly", others may not.

And finally, from John himself:
|Just because my program is free doesn't mean it's beyond criticism.  The
|large size of version 2.0 is one of its drawbacks, and the person who
|complained had a valid point.

Thank you.  John seems to be one of the few people who knows what the
phrase "constructive criticism" means.

In summary, I feel the 20K spent on a function used once could be better
spent elsewhere.  Others feel differently.  But I also feel that
Disinfectant is amazingly useful, and the disadvantage of the extra
20K is far outweighed by the usefulness of the application as a whole,
so I'm certainly not going to toss Disinfectant because of the About
box.  That's my opinion, and in the end, it's up to John to decide.
--
Brian L. Matthews	blm@6sceng.UUCP

george@swbatl.sbc.com (George D. Nincehelser) (07/17/90)

In article <456@6sceng.UUCP> blm@6sceng.UUCP (Brian Matthews) writes:

>First, I wasn't "bitching", I was offering constructive criticism.  Some
>people don't seem to know the difference.  Second, as I stated above,
>Disinfectant *is* wonderful and useful and free, but that doesn't make
>it immune from criticism.  And third, you may consider 20K of disk space
>"measly", others may not.

Methinks that if grousing about 20K of disk space is the best
"constructive criticism" that one can offer, then either Disinfectant 2.0
is one hell of a program, or someone is just picking nits.

I hope this doesn't discourage John from including future animated
about boxes.  I think it's sad that some would condemn an author's
personalization of a program just for disk space.  I feel that the
"about box" of a program (at least in freeware) should be an open
forum for the programmer to express him or herself as he or she sees fit.
20K is a small price to pay for this program (in relation to its
functionality) to recognize the people who brought it to us.

--

lwj@cs.kun.nl (Luc Rooijakkers) (07/17/90)

news@uunet!unhd (USENET News System) writes:

>Has anyone noticed that Disinfectant 2.0 will no longer fit on a floppy
>with the minimum software for all macs.  In fact, it wont fit with the
>minimum software for just my Mac II.  (I'm talking about system 6.0.5)
>Has anyone found an acceptable solution?

Yes, just set up your disk as recommended in the Disinfectant docs. That
is, include *only* System, Finder and Disinfectant. This works for me, I
even have 36K of disk space left :-)

--
Luc Rooijakkers                                 Internet: lwj@cs.kun.nl
Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science     UUCP: uunet!cs.kun.nl!lwj

In article <1990Jul16.142942.2415@uunet!unhd>  writes:

>Has anyone noticed that Disinfectant 2.0 will no longer fit on a floppy
>with the minimum software for all macs.  In fact, it wont fit with the
>minimum software for just my Mac II.  (I'm talking about system 6.0.5)
>Has anyone found an acceptable solution?

The "minimal" software installed by the installer is a bit more than
you need.  All that is required is a copy of System and Finder.

What I did was install the "minimal" software on a floppy and then
deleted everything but System and Finder.  I then copied Disinfectant
to the floppy, locked the floppy, and WAHLAH!  I even had 66K to
spare.

I suppose another solution would be to make a bootable 1.44 floppy,
but not everyone has one of those.

--

kucharsk@number6.Solbourne.COM (William Kucharski) (07/18/90)

In article <1990Jul16.142942.2415@uunet!unhd>  writes:

 >Has anyone noticed that Disinfectant 2.0 will no longer fit on a floppy
 >with the minimum software for all macs.  In fact, it wont fit with the
 >minimum software for just my Mac II.  (I'm talking about system 6.0.5)
 >Has anyone found an acceptable solution?

Sure -- make a "Mini-system" by removing most of the "superfluous" CDEVs
(e.g. Color, Sound, etc.) and go into the system file with Font/DA Mover
and remove superfluous fonts (anything other than Chicago, Geneva and Monaco
in point sizes 10 and 12 is what I use) and DAs (For example, you don't
really need the Chooser).  Also be sure that you only have "Finder" in
the System Folder and not Multifinder.  Now Disinfectant 2.0 should "just"
fit on the floppy; on my particular disk (System 6.0.4) I make it with 3K
to spare.  I haven't played with 6.0.5 (I have an A+ optical mouse -- I lose),
but I would suspect that with similar "crunching" techniques you can do the
same with it.
| Internet:   kucharsk@Solbourne.COM	      |	William Kucharski             |
| uucp:	...!{boulder,sun,uunet}!stan!kucharsk |	Solbourne Computer, Inc.      |
= The opinions above are mine alone and NOT those of Solbourne Computer, Inc. =

jln@acns.nwu.edu (John Norstad) (07/18/90)

> Has anyone noticed that Disinfectant 2.0 will no longer fit on a floppy
> with the minimum software for all macs.  In fact, it wont fit with the
> minimum software for just my Mac II.  (I'm talking about system 6.0.5)
> Has anyone found an acceptable solution?

This isn't true.  As I explain in detail in the manual, all you have to do
is copy System and Finder from the 6.0.5 System Tools disk to an 800K
floppy along with a copy of Disinfectant.  This is what I call your "Virus
Tools" disk.  My virus tools disk has 44K free.  This a perfectly usable
startup floppy which will work on all Macs. This isn't at all complicated
or difficult.

dhsy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (07/18/90)

In article <1990Jul17.193436.5743@Solbourne.COM>, kucharsk@number6.Solbourne.COM (William Kucharski) writes:
> In article <1990Jul16.142942.2415@uunet!unhd>  writes:
>  >
>  >Has anyone noticed that Disinfectant 2.0 will no longer fit on a floppy
>  >with the minimum software for all macs.  In fact, it wont fit with the
>  >minimum software for just my Mac II.  (I'm talking about system 6.0.5)
>  >Has anyone found an acceptable solution?
>
> Sure -- make a "Mini-system" by removing most of the "superfluous" CDEVs
> (e.g. Color, Sound, etc.) and go into the system file with Font/DA Mover
> and remove superfluous fonts (anything other than Chicago, Geneva and Monaco
> in point sizes 10 and 12 is what I use) and DAs (For example, you don't
> really need the Chooser).  Also be sure that you only have "Finder" in
> the System Folder and not Multifinder.  Now Disinfectant 2.0 should "just"
> fit on the floppy; on my particular disk (System 6.0.4) I make it with 3K
> to spare.  I haven't played with 6.0.5 (I have an A+ optical mouse -- I lose),
> but I would suspect that with similar "crunching" techniques you can do the
> same with it.
> --

You are not supposed to do the "crunching" for a virus tool disk. By the way,
I've seen postings for sys+finder+disinf= 66K (44K, 36K) spare space. If it's
a newly formatted disk, why are all those differences?

BTW II:
The first thing that came up in my mind when I saw the program was the size,
same thought came up when I (like everybody else) supprised by the about box.
The I realized, that Disinfectant is so fine, so perfect a program that we
don't have anything else to complain about. It's the best.

dhsy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

tjfs@tadtec.uucp (Tim Steele) (07/18/90)

Actually, if you read the docs, you don't even need the Finder.  Just
use 'Set Startup' to bring up Disinfectant straight away.

It's worth stripping out fonts and DAs from your minimal system file
to make it even smaller.

The system file doesn't have to be in a System Folder - it can just
live at the top level of your minimal boot floppy.

Tim
--

tjfs@tadtec.uucp        ...!uunet!mcvax!ukc!tadtec!tjfs
Tadpole Technology plc, Science Park, Milton Road, CAMBRIDGE, CB4 4WQ

kucharsk@number6.Solbourne.COM (William Kucharski) (07/19/90)

In article <4700.26a4247b@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> dhsy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
 >You are not supposed to do the "crunching" for a virus tool disk. By the way,
 >I've seen postings for sys+finder+disinf= 66K (44K, 36K) spare space. If it's
 >a newly formatted disk, why are all those differences?

Because I didn't go through the steps outlined in the Disinfectant 2.0 help
file to create a "Virus Tools" disk; rather I already had a boot floppy I was
using with an old version of Disinfectant and crunched and removed things
from the disk until Disinfectant 2.0 fit.  I'm guilty because my Virus Tools
disk does include superfluous things like Keyboard, Mouse, Key Layout, Monitors,
etc.

 >BTW II:
 >The first thing that came up in my mind when I saw the program was the size,
 >same thought came up when I (like everybody else) supprised by the about box.
 >The I realized, that Disinfectant is so fine, so perfect a program that we
 >don't have anything else to complain about. It's the best.

Absolutely no argument from me there.

jlhaferman@l_eld09.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeffrey Lawrence Haferman) (07/19/90)

From article <4700.26a4247b@vax5.cit.cornell.edu>, by dhsy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu:

> You are not supposed to do the "crunching" for a virus tool disk. By the way,
> I've seen postings for sys+finder+disinf= 66K (44K, 36K) spare space. If it's
> a newly formatted disk, why are all those differences?

I suppose the different sizes are due to the different fonts and DA's installed
in the system file ...

Jeff Haferman                            internet: jlhaferman@icaen.uiowa.edu
Department of Mechanical Engineering
University of Iowa
Iowa City IA  52240

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (07/19/90)

In article <9751@accuvax.nwu.edu> jln@acns.nwu.edu (John Norstad) writes:
>In article <452@6sceng.UUCP> blm@6sceng.UUCP (Brian Matthews) writes:
>> I could use the 20K or so of disk space the
>> graphics and sound take in much better ways.  Just one man's opinion...
>
>I was waiting for some to make this complaint, which I suppose is
>justified.  But 20K (which is about the right number, by the way) is only
>about 7% of the total space occupied by the entire application, which I
>felt wasn't too much out of line.

Well, when someone has put in as much time as John has to a completely
FREE program, I think he's aloowed to have a little fun...

Ken

(Thanks John!)

--
Ken Hancock '90            | Now that I'm employed,
Consultant                 | standard disclaimer applies.   :-)

Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Leo Bores) (07/21/90)

In an article of <16 Jul 90 01:48:41 GMT>, jln@acns.nwu.edu (John Norstad)
writes:

 JN>In article <452@6sceng.UUCP> blm@6sceng.UUCP (Brian Matthews) writes:
 JN>> I could use the 20K or so of disk space the
 JN>> graphics and sound take in much better ways.  Just one man's
 JN>opinion...
 JN>
 JN>I was waiting for some to make this complaint, which I suppose is
 JN>justified.  But 20K (which is about the right number, by the way) is
 JN>only
 JN>about 7% of the total space occupied by the entire application, which I
 JN>
 JN>felt wasn't too much out of line.

Don't feel bad John. I hear that someone once complained that Van Gogh used too
many colors and Beethoven too many notes.

Leo Bores, M.D.

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!14!Leo.Bores
Internet: Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org

edgar@shape.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (07/21/90)

I looked at this "About" box both on a Mac IIcx and on a Mac Plus.  On
the Plus, the marching viruses are slower, so more of the tune has
a chance to get played.  Not only the first 8 bars twice through,
but the next strain, too.
--

minich@d.cs.okstate.edu (Robert Minich) (07/22/90)

| I looked at this "About" box both on a Mac IIcx and on a Mac Plus.  On
| the Plus, the marching viruses are slower, so more of the tune has
| a chance to get played.  Not only the first 8 bars twice through,
| but the next strain, too.

  In fact, the tune will go on for quite a while if you find a decent
way to stop the marching names. Pull down a menu and hold it and the
music goes on. You may have to let up momentarily so Disinferctant can
get some more notes in the pipeline, but I only had to do that a couple
times on my SE/30. The whole piece goes on for quite a while, although
it seems that only one part is represented and a dogfight isn't quite
the same! I can't wait for Disinfectant 2.1 where we'll have four parts
going. Good work John. (PS has _anyone_ ever come across Frankie? :-)

--
=====================================
|        | Robert Minich            |

jln@acns.nwu.edu (John Norstad) (07/23/90)

I always have one joke and one puzzle in each release of Disinfectant.  I
didn't plan it this way, but that's the way it has turned out.

The joke has always been the same - try disinfecting a CD ROM and
Disinfectant will eject it and ask you to "unlock and reinsert" it.  I
enjoy visualizing some poor slob looking for the write-protect tab on his
caddy :-)

The puzzle in the 1.x versions was how to get the about box.  This was
mentioned in the manual very briefly, but most people don't read manuals,
so most people weren't even aware that there was one.  It was the same as
the 2.0 version, but without the sound.

The 2.0 puzzle is how to get the entire Sousa "Liberty Bell" march played.
The entire march is there, and I know of three essentially different ways
to get the entire thing played.  One poster has already revealed one of
the ways.  Hint:  All three ways involve drastically slowing down the
animation, so that the entire tune gets played before the foot hits the
virus names.

The Sousa march is definitely screwed up on the IIfx.  It's as if there
were extra rests inserted randomly in the tune.  I built a test program
which just plays the tune, and it screws up in the same way, again ONLY on
the IIfx.  I've tried to figure out what's going on without success.  I
think I'll send my test program in to Apple DTS and see what they have to
say.

I hope to do some work later today improving the about box.  The animation
is properly synched with the vertical retrace interrupt on the classic Mac
models, but not on the color QuickDraw models - I think I've finally
unraveled enough of the mysteries of color QuickDraw to fix that now.
This ought to get rid of some of the annoying "flicker" effect.  I also
have an idea to improve (speed up) the squishing of the virus names on
slower Mac models.

Few people know that the main function of Disinfectant is displaying the
about box - killing viruses is just a side-effect :-)  I'm very happy to
see that USENET readers have realized this, judging from the volume of
postings.

Seriously, the programming for the about box was some of the more
interesting and difficult work I did in Disinfectant.  Making it non-modal
was non-trivial.  Handling update events in an animated window is not easy.

John Norstad
Academic Computing and Network Services
Northwestern University
jln@acns.nwu.edu

leo@duttnph.tudelft.nl (Leo Breebaart) (07/23/90)

I am rather surprised that nobody has mentioned this yet, but some months
ago John Norstad posted a 'call for icons', because he was not satisfied
with the Disinfectant 1.x icon, and wanted to have a better icon for the
2.0 release.

But to my surprise the icon has stayed the same. So what happened? Or rather,
why did it *not* happen?

Just curious,

--
Leo Breebaart  (leo @ duttnph.tudelft.nl)

jln@acns.nwu.edu (John Norstad) (07/23/90)

In article <leo.648733409@duttnph> leo@duttnph.tudelft.nl (Leo Breebaart)
writes:
> I am rather surprised that nobody has mentioned this yet, but some months
> ago John Norstad posted a 'call for icons', because he was not satisfied
> with the Disinfectant 1.x icon, and wanted to have a better icon for the
> 2.0 release.

Several people sent icons, but not of them seemed right to me, so I used
the old one.

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (07/26/90)

In article <1990Jul17.133154.18425@swbatl.sbc.com> george@swbatl.UUCP (George D. Nincehelser) writes:
>In article <1990Jul16.142942.2415@uunet!unhd>  writes:
>>Has anyone noticed that Disinfectant 2.0 will no longer fit on a floppy
>>with the minimum software for all macs.  In fact, it wont fit with the
>>minimum software for just my Mac II.  (I'm talking about system 6.0.5)
>>Has anyone found an acceptable solution?
>
>The "minimal" software installed by the installer is a bit more than
>you need.  All that is required is a copy of System and Finder.

		Actually I would think all you would need is a System file
		and have DisInfectant set as the startup application. I
		haven't tested this, But I think it would work fine. I've
		done this with other software, though not with 6.0.5.

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

rjohnson@seas.gwu.edu (Ray Johnson) (07/26/90)

In article <2731@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM> ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) writes:
>In article <1990Jul17.133154.18425@swbatl.sbc.com> george@swbatl.UUCP (George D. Nincehelser) writes:
>>In article <1990Jul16.142942.2415@uunet!unhd>  writes:
>>>Has anyone noticed that Disinfectant 2.0 will no longer fit on a floppy
>>>with the minimum software for all macs.  In fact, it wont fit with the
>>>minimum software for just my Mac II.  (I'm talking about system 6.0.5)
>>>Has anyone found an acceptable solution?
>>
>>The "minimal" software installed by the installer is a bit more than
>>you need.  All that is required is a copy of System and Finder.
>
>		Actually I would think all you would need is a System file
>		and have DisInfectant set as the startup application. I
>		haven't tested this, But I think it would work fine. I've
>		done this with other software, though not with 6.0.5.

I've done exactly this and it works fine.  It also alows me to add a
folder with GateKeeper, GateKeeper Aid and some documentation so that
it is easy to install a comprehensive virus protection scheme on a
users Mac (with directions) without having to have more than on disk.

--
Ray Johnson
Internet: rjohnson@seas.gwu.edu       Phone: (202)994-6853

blood@aludra.usc.edu (Brian Blood) (08/05/90)

From blood Sun Aug  5 06:58:23 1990
To: /home/chaph9/blood/.article

I have done this and  with 6.0.5 and it works very weell. I am speaking of course for a Minimal SE disk. I think. I don't hae it handy.
-BB