[comp.sys.mac.apps] Supercard 1.5

kenney@hsi.UUCP (Brian Kenney) (07/30/90)

  A friend of mine just received a SuperCard upgrade.  What is
so nice about that is that the upgrade was free. (He didn't even
realize it was coming).  It came with some new documentation, too.
Pretty nice!  More companies should have such dedication to their
customers.

--
Brian Kenney                                                 kenney@hsi.com
"She got her good looks from her father.  He's a plastic surgeon"

tn505981@longs.LANCE.ColoState.EDU (Todd Nathan) (08/03/90)

In article <1891@hsi86.hsi.UUCP>, kenney@hsi.UUCP (Brian Kenney) writes:

>   A friend of mine just received a SuperCard upgrade.  What is
> so nice about that is that the upgrade was free. (He didn't even
> realize it was coming).  It came with some new documentation, too.
> Pretty nice!  More companies should have such dedication to their
> customers.
>
> --
> Brian Kenney                                                 kenney@hsi.com
> "She got her good looks from her father.  He's a plastic surgeon"
>                                                     Groucho Marx

I recieved my SuperCard 1.5 upgrade about two months ago.  I have been
extremely pleased with it.  There are bugs as one would expect, but the
packaging and the professional and layed back attitude of the developers
(even after the buyout) really impresses me.  I love Silicon Beach and
recommend the SuperCard product over Plus or HyperCard.  I am a
professional developer and own both Plus 1.0 and SuperCard 1.5.
SuperCard by far is my favorite.  SuperCard allows what Plus has and
more!!!  Even alternate resource paths...

Buy it!!!

sumner@usceast.UUCP (David Sumner) (08/04/90)

In Article 916kenney@hsi.UUCP (Brian Kenney) writes:

 > A friend of mine just received a SuperCard upgrade.  What is
>so nice about that is that the upgrade was free. (He didn't even
>realize it was coming).  It came with some new documentation, too.
>Pretty nice!  More companies should have such dedication to their
>customers.

Yeah, I got one too. It's a shame that such nice service somes in
support of such a non-wonderful product.
------------------------
David Sumner
"If you ask a fish to describe its environment, the last thing it mentions
 is water."

tn505981@longs.LANCE.ColoState.EDU (Todd Nathan) (08/04/90)

In article <3371@usceast.UUCP>, sumner@usceast.UUCP (David Sumner) writes:

> In Article 916kenney@hsi.UUCP (Brian Kenney) writes:
>
>  > A friend of mine just received a SuperCard upgrade...

> Yeah, I got one too. It's a shame that such nice service somes in
> support of such a non-wonderful product.
> ------------------------
> David Sumner
> "If you ask a fish to describe its environment, the last thing it mentions
>  is water."

I can't believe it.  What the heck are you talking about.  SuperCard 1.5
is really good.  Consider the price and the market and you abviously
don't have a bleepin clue as to what you are talking about (the
response).  Hey Davvy, have you ever programmed in the alternatives
(HyperCard, Plus and Authorware).  I have and I own all of them and I
know that SuperCard is the best for the money!!!  Wonderful support
along with a better than average development enviroment.  Next time
think before you leap, or better yet, just leap.

sumner@usceast.UUCP (David Sumner) (08/05/90)

In Article 970tn505981@longs.LANCE.ColoState.EDU (Todd Nathan) writes:

>I can't believe it.  What the heck are you talking about.  SuperCard 1.5
>is really good

Well, you are entitled to your opinion. I've had some headaches with
the environment myself. It's difficult to use (in my opinion).
I'm not saying that it is not worthwhile. I just don't enjoy using it. I think
it has a lot of potential, and I'd like to see it do well. I've always had a
high opinion of Silicon Beach software, and I would expect them to make this a
great product. However, in it's current state it's too buggy and awkward for my
purposes. If you have had different results, then I am happy for you, and I'm
glad you want to let all of us know about it.Maybe I'll change my mind after
working with it for a bit. Who knows? I was not at all happy with having shelled
out for the original SuperCard and then discovering how awkward it was to use.My
initial reaction to SuperCard 1.5 was that it still is not appropriate for most
serious development.

>Hey Davvy, have you ever programmed in the alternatives
>(HyperCard, Plus and Authorware).  I have and I own all of them

I have programmed in Hypercard 1.0, HyperCard 2.0, Plus and Supercard
not to mention Think C, Think Pascal, and just about every assembler language
you can name (on many different machines - I've been a software developer for
a long time). I've developed commercial software myself, written several INITs,
cdevs, and Desk accessories for the Mac (all public domain), and written many
articles for popular magazines. I wrote a disassembler (Memory Tools) using
Hypercard and about 20 external commands. I wrote the chapter in "Tricks of the
HyperCard Masters" on extending HyperCard with externals. I wrote a book on
programming pocket computers in assembly language, I have written a commercially
successful assembler and disassembler for the Tandy 100 laptop computer, and am
currently supported in a HyperCard project funded by the National Science
Foundation. I taught a course in HyperTalk programming at the University of
South Carolina.I am responding to your message using a HyperCard based
Net News Reader/Writer software of my own design.

Personally, I have found HyperCard - particularly Hypercard 2.0 - to be a
^^^^^^^^^^
superior development environment than the others you mention. There is little
missing from HyperCard 2.0 that can't be easily added with appropriate
externals. I was a little distressed at the format of SuperCard when I first got
it.(Plus as well).

>Next time think before you leap, or better yet, just leap.

Please respect other peoples opinions. You are entitled to your
own, but such flaming is totally inappropriate on the net.If you want to get
personal, send me E-Mail. Quite honestly, I'm happy to find some people who have
had positive experiences with Supercard. As I said, I'd like it to become a
successful product. It just doesn't cut it with me right now.

------------------------
David Sumner
"If you ask a fish to describe its environment, the last thing it mentions
 is water."

tn505981@longs.LANCE.ColoState.EDU (Todd Nathan) (08/06/90)

I will appologize for your feelings and understand what you have said.
I have done all the things you stated (not bragging) except the writing.
 So with that in mind, your point is now taken.  I understand and your
explaining and defending is well worth the time you spent.  I hope you
continue your efforts and have much success.

Sincerely

Todd Nathan

P.S.  The flaming was based on your not detailing why you had your opinions.