[comp.sys.mac.apps] Free and commercial telnet/ftp programs

roskar@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Veljko Roskar) (08/03/90)

Could someone please point out to me where I can get the National
Center's for Supercomputing Applications versions of ftp and
telnet for the Mac.

Does this software support ftp while using telnet?
Does it have any Tektronix emulation?

I am aware that there is a commercial product that "sits" on top
of the new VersaTerm's comm toolbox, but I have no idea about where
I can buy it or who makes it.

Eternal thanks for help on this.

P.S. If any of you know of good and cheap ethernet boards that work with
the above mentioned products and fit in the SE/30, please recommend some.

This is for my advisor. It's important that I keep him happy.

Thank you so.

dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton) (08/03/90)

In article <5992@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> roskar@jhunix.UUCP (Veljko Roskar) writes:
>Could someone please point out to me where I can get the National
>Center's for Supercomputing Applications versions of ftp and
>telnet for the Mac.

NCSA Telnet incorporates Telnet and FTP into the same progam.  It does
not have built-in FTP client, that is, you cannot FTP from your
Macintosh to another machine (although you can FTP from a machine into
your Mac).  It's available from zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu (128.174.20.50),
in the directory /NCSA_Telnet/Mac.

>Does this software support ftp while using telnet?

Only host FTP.

>Does it have any Tektronix emulation?

Yes, it has Tek 4014 Emulation.

>I am aware that there is a commercial product that "sits" on top
>of the new VersaTerm's comm toolbox, but I have no idea about where
>I can buy it or who makes it.

This I don't know about.

>Eternal thanks for help on this.

You're welcome.

--

David Walton		Internet: dwal@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago   {  Any opinions found herein are mine, not  }

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (08/06/90)

dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton) writes:

>>Does this software support ftp while using telnet?

>Only host FTP.

There are two products that I know of that are TelNet
derivatives that support client ftp.  This will allow
you to ftp mac-to-mac across WAN's that do not support
A-Talk.

1) NCSA/BYU_TelNet_2.3.1 - This modification of the
   standard TelNet supports client ftp.  I got it from
   a friend.  Does anyone know of a public source?

2) TCP/Connect II - Designed by a former NCSA employee, as
   I have been told about it.  It is from a company
   called InterCon.  I do not have an address or phone
   number.

There are probably others.  I believe that Kinetics has
a product called HostAccess that might have this feature.

hirchert@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Kurt Hirchert) (08/07/90)

In article <4347@crystal9.UUCP> derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
>1) NCSA/BYU_TelNet_2.3.1 - This modification of the
>   standard TelNet supports client ftp.  I got it from
>   a friend.  Does anyone know of a public source?

It is available from NCSA via anonymous FTP to the machine ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu.
It is in the NCSA_Telnet/contributions directory.  (I believe it is also
available from some machine at BYU, but I don't know the details of that.)

>2) TCP/Connect II - Designed by a former NCSA employee, as
>   I have been told about it.  It is from a company
>   called InterCon.  I do not have an address or phone
>   number.

InterCon Systems Corporation
Suite 390
950 Herndon Parkway