[comp.sys.mac.apps] Execution speed of QuickBASIC vs Turbo Pascal?

byoung@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Brian Young) (08/08/90)

I am using a MacAdios data acquisition package with an SE and am running into
problems with the execution speed of QuickBASIC (compiled not just
interpreted).  I would be interested in hearing from anyone that could
tell me whether Turbo Pascal would execute an equivalent amount of code more
quickly.  Please, no replies saying "get a faster computer".

                                    Thanks, Brian.

mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (08/08/90)

In article <23545@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> byoung@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Brian Young) writes:
>I am using a MacAdios data acquisition package with an SE and am running into
>problems with the execution speed of QuickBASIC (compiled not just
>interpreted).  I would be interested in hearing from anyone that could
>tell me whether Turbo Pascal would execute an equivalent amount of code more
>quickly.  Please, no replies saying "get a faster computer".
>
>                                    Thanks, Brian.

QuickBasic has a feature called pure code resources that might help you.
You can write external procedures in another language (C,Pascal or asm)
and have them be called from your quickbasic program. This way you
could keep the interface in Quickbasic and the time critical code
in an extrernal. I use this all the time.

There are a lot of ways to speed up the execution time of quickbasic programs.
I'm sure that any pascal compiler would generatge more effecient code than
basic.

Matthew Mora                |   my Mac  Matt_Mora@sri.com
SRI International           |  my unix  mxmora@unix.sri.com