[comp.sys.mac.apps] Superclock 3.9 conflict with Word 4.0?

cox@stpstn.UUCP (Brad Cox) (08/09/90)

This is now the second version of SuperClock that I've removed from my
system because of what appears to be a conflict with Word 4.0. The symptom
is that with SuperClock installed, repagination of newly entered text fails
such that screwy margins are produced til cured by scrolling the screwy
portion (manually) off screen and back again.

Might SuperClock be eating a clock event that Word uses to trigger
repagination?

I'm confident I'm right about this happening consistently, but concerned
that I've seen no one else report it. I do use INITS, but convinced myself
during the last round of problems that the fault was SuperClocks. But I've
been wrong before, and hope I am now 'cause I'd like for SuperClock to work...
--

Brad Cox; cox@stepstone.com; CI$ 71230,647; 203 426 1875
The Stepstone Corporation; 75 Glen Road; Sandy Hook CT 06482

dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) (08/10/90)

In article <5447@stpstn.UUCP> cox@stpstn.UUCP (Brad Cox) writes:
>This is now the second version of SuperClock that I've removed from my
>system because of what appears to be a conflict with Word 4.0. The symptom
>is that with SuperClock installed, repagination of newly entered text fails
>such that screwy margins are produced til cured by scrolling the screwy
>portion (manually) off screen and back again.
>
>Might SuperClock be eating a clock event that Word uses to trigger
>repagination?

I haven't noticed this at all and have been using Word and Superclock
since Word 3 and Superclock 1.4 (or something). But then I usually leave
the automatic repagination turned off because all that disk access and
commotion makes me think that it goes slower with the repagination on.

But I did notice screwy spacing something like you mention, that would
only be fixed by scrolling off the screen. To produce the problem I've
noticed, type something in bold, using the text to picture command (I
think it's called) command-option-d make the text into a graphic.
Watch what happens in a paragraph following this graphic with bold
text in it; it should be something like you mention seeing. I don't
think I've tried to see if taking out SuperClock would make a difference.
And come to think of it, I haven't tried it with Word 4.00B, it was
before version B that it was happening

cox@stpstn.UUCP (Brad Cox) (08/10/90)

In article <38066@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) writes:
|In article <5447@stpstn.UUCP> cox@stpstn.UUCP (Brad Cox) writes:
|>This is now the second version of SuperClock that I've removed from my
|>system because of what appears to be a conflict with Word 4.0. The symptom
|>is that with SuperClock installed, repagination of newly entered text fails
|>such that screwy margins are produced til cured by scrolling the screwy
|>portion (manually) off screen and back again.
|>
|>Might SuperClock be eating a clock event that Word uses to trigger
|>repagination?
|
|But I did notice screwy spacing something like you mention, that would
|only be fixed by scrolling off the screen. To produce the problem I've
|noticed, type something in bold, using the text to picture command (I
|think it's called) command-option-d make the text into a graphic.
|Watch what happens in a paragraph following this graphic with bold
|text in it; it should be something like you mention seeing. I don't
|think I've tried to see if taking out SuperClock would make a difference.
|And come to think of it, I haven't tried it with Word 4.00B, it was
|before version B that it was happening

Maybe, but I'm not using any sort of fancy options, repagination or
otherwise. I'm referring to ordinary editing of style 'Normal' paragraphs,
justified. It doesn't happen on every line wrap, but just often enough
to completely botch your concentration. This was what made me speculate
about lost clock interrupts.

The Word version I'm using is 4.0B. I can't recall if the problem with
the earlier SuperClock occurred with an older version of Word.