[comp.sys.mac.apps] Nisus 3.0

tj@peirce.cis.ohio-state.edu (Todd R Johnson) (07/31/90)

	Is Nisus 3.0 actually shipping yet?  From the ad in the August
issue of Macworld, it looks like it has some useful features that are
missing in other programs.  I might be interested in buying this, but
I've got some questions:

	Does 3.0 have an outlining mode?
	Does it support headings (similar to Word or Fullwrite)?
	Are the style sheets hierarchical?
	Is there any support for bibliographies?  (Any chance of
		getting EndNote to work with Nisus?)
	Can figures, headings, equations, etc. be automatically renumbered?
	How does it work on large documents?
	Is there support for multi-file documents?
	Is it available at a student discount?

Still looking for a good WYSIWYG WP for technical writing,

	---Todd
-=-
Todd R. Johnson
tj@cis.ohio-state.edu
Laboratory for AI Research
The Ohio State University

stevens@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Curt Stevens) (08/06/90)

In article <82554@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Todd R Johnson <tj@aristotle.cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:

>I've got some questions:

I don't know all of these answers but I remeber some of it from when I
gave them a call.

>	Are the style sheets hierarchical?
NO

>	Is there any support for bibliographies?  (Any chance of
>		getting EndNote to work with Nisus?)
No support for this in Nisus. I can't speak for EndNote's future
however.

>	Can figures, headings, equations, etc. be automatically renumbered?
I'm not sure the person undertood what I was talking about with this but
my impression was that it is not supported.

>	Is it available at a student discount?
YES. I believe $99.00 was the quoted price. You have to give them a call.
1 800 922 2993 ext 300 (in CA 619 481 1477 ext 300)

|Curt Stevens   (303) 492-1218 | / | arpa: stevens@boulder.colorado.edu|
|Univ. of Colorado, Boulder    |o o| uucp:{ncar|nbires}!boulder!stevens|
|Computer Sci. Dept. ECOT 7-7  | | |-----------------------------------|
|Campus Box 430                |\_/| I contradict myself? Very well, I |
|Boulder, Colorado 80309  USA  |   | contradict myself. - Walt Whitman |

========
| Curt |
========

spector@brillig.cs.umd.edu (Lee Spector) (08/06/90)

In a pervious article stevens@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Curt Stevens) writes:
>In article <82554@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Todd R Johnson <tj@aristotle.cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>
>>	Is there any support for bibliographies?  (Any chance of
>>		getting EndNote to work with Nisus?)
>No support for this in Nisus. I can't speak for EndNote's future
>however.

With Nisus 2.11 I'm using the Cross-Reference facility to do my citation
management, and though I've just started with Nisus, I think it'll work
pretty well.  Since Nisus has a nice built-in macro facility, I'm anticipating
that I'll be able to fix things up if they don't work as I want them to...

>>	Can figures, headings, equations, etc. be automatically renumbered?
>I'm not sure the person undertood what I was talking about with this but
>my impression was that it is not supported.

Nisus 2.11 came with an "Update Figures" macro which I haven't tried yet.
Here's part of the description: "This macro will renumber the figures
in your document.  The figure captions must match the following format
[stuff deleted...] Because the desk accessory Calculator is used to simulate
a sequence variable that starts at 1 and counts upward, this macro will not
work under multifinder."

Now it seems kind of funky to me that they're using the Calculator DA in
the macro, and the resulting interaction with multifinder is kind of
strange.  However, if I'm reading the manual correctly (p.256) then you
CAN make it work under multifinder by pressing Option at the proper time...

Anyway, I guess the bottom line is that you CAN do alot of stuff with
Nisus by extending it with macros. Perhaps these extensions won't always
be particularly elegant...  I'm not sure though.  Again, I've only had Nisus
for about a week, and overall I'm quite impressed.

 -Lee (spector@cs.umd.edu)

gdavis@primate.wisc.edu (Gary Davis) (08/08/90)

From article <25914@mimsy.umd.edu>, by spector@brillig.cs.umd.edu (Lee Spector):
> With Nisus 2.11 I'm using the Cross-Reference facility to do my citation
> management, and though I've just started with Nisus, I think it'll work
> pretty well.  Since Nisus has a nice built-in macro facility, I'm anticipating
> that I'll be able to fix things up if they don't work as I want them to...

There are many ways to do bibliographies in Nisus, though they may require some fiddling with GREP and macros (fun actually). I often just type in refs in
the text using a special character style, such as dotted underline, to
distinguish them. When I've finished the manuscript I can use macros to
collect all the refs into a bibliography. To print the manuscript I set
the special ref style back to plain text. As Lee says, it's possible
to use macros to do a lot of whatever reorganization or reformatting of
things may be necessary.

I tried FullWrite once for bibliographies, but it's just too rigid to be
usable for me. The nice thing about Nisus is its flexibility.

> Nisus 2.11 came with an "Update Figures" macro which I haven't tried yet.
> Here's part of the description: "This macro will renumber the figures
> in your document.  The figure captions must match the following format
> [stuff deleted...] Because the desk accessory Calculator is used to simulate
> a sequence variable that starts at 1 and counts upward, this macro will not
> work under multifinder."
>
> Now it seems kind of funky to me that they're using the Calculator DA in
> the macro, and the resulting interaction with multifinder is kind of
> strange.  However, if I'm reading the manual correctly (p.256) then you
> CAN make it work under multifinder by pressing Option at the proper time...

Starting with some revision of Nisus, I forget which, pressing Option
was no longer necessary. Nisus 3.0 has built in arithmetic capabilities,
so the Calculator DA is no longer necessary.

Gary Davis

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (08/10/90)

In article <2713@network.ucsd.edu>, jon@weber (Jon Matousek) writes:
>And, your favorite word processor's GREP facility just got better!
>Nisus 3.0 is out, just in time for MacWorld Boston. GREP combined
>with Nisus 3.0's noncontiguous selection make a powerful searching
>tool even more powerful. Nisus now has a "Find All" command that will
>noncontiguously select all of the matching patterns. You can then apply
>a second GREP pattern to the noncontiguous selections with the
>"Find In Selection" command.

I'm so looking forward to my 3.0 upgrade.  Noncontiguous selection is
a truly useful and innovative new feature.  What a time-saver!
Imagine being able to go through your text highlighting things that
need to be italicized, let's say, and then just giving one menu
command to do it.  Much less tedious than the traditional Mac way of
hightlight, menu, highlight, menu, etc.

>As always, Nisus' GREP allows you to search and replace with any
>combination of character attributes; i.e. font/size/style/user style/color.

Someone mentioned that Nisus doesn't have hierarchical styles.  While
I think that the ability to search and replace styles is great, does
not having hierarchical styles mean that I can't base one style on
another, as I can in Word?

>Nisus' GREP is fast, and searches through open and unopened files.

As always, one of its best features.

I've been a Nisus convert for almost a year now, and there's no way
I'd go back to Word.  I'm really looking forward to 3.0.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."