[comp.sys.mac.apps] FullWrite Professional 1.5

chowe@bbn.com (Carl Howe) (08/10/90)

Hi all,

Just in case there are any other FullWrite addicts out there, Ashton
Tate was showing FullWrite 1.5 at MacWorld this week.  The upgrade
has many improvements including:

1.  Context-senstive help system
2.  Ability to import and export Word 3.X and 4.0, Pagemaker, WordPerfect,
    DisplayWrite, and MultiMate files.
3.  A new table-maker application (Tyco Table Maker) is included.
4.  Ability to move graphics and sidebars directly from main window
    rather than going through subwindows.

Upgrades are $49 for registered owners and are available by calling
1-800-2ASHTON.  The new version was selling at a MacWorld special price
of $99 (normally $299, I think).

I have no idea if it is any faster on low-end Macs; I saw it demonstrated
on Mac IIs.  Memory requirements are the same as for 1.0:
it will run in 1 Meg under
singlefinder, requires 2 Megs if you run Multifinder, and is happiest
with 2 Megs or more to itself.

The salesman stated that the program has been in extensive beta-test and
that it was vastly more reliable than previous versions (not that I've
really had much trouble with my old 1.0).  I have no proof of this assertion
other than I didn't see it crash.

It looked nice; I ordered my copy today.

Carl
WG1V

oplinger@minerva.crd.ge.com (B. S. Oplinger) (08/11/90)

In article <58840@bbn.BBN.COM> chowe@BBN.COM (Carl Howe) writes:
>Just in case there are any other FullWrite addicts out there, Ashton
>Tate was showing FullWrite 1.5 at MacWorld this week.

>Upgrades are $49 for registered owners and are available by calling
>1-800-2ASHTON.  The new version was selling at a MacWorld special price
>of $99 (normally $299, I think).

I bought the $99 MacConnection special, which consisted of Fullwrite,
FullImpact, and Dbase. The good news, which I posted before, was that
if you bought FullImpact before June, you got version 2 for free. So I
call Ashton Tate and decided to see if there is a similar deal for
FullWrite. The bad news is there is such a deal, but FullWrite must be
purchased before June 25. So those of you who have recently bought the
1.0 FullWrite can get it for free.

But what bothers me so much about this is the following:

I never send in warrenty cards (well almost never). This is what AT
uses to determine when you 'bought' you copy of their software. For
some foolish reason, I sent in my warrenty cards when I bought it
(FullWrite).  Just think, if I had waited to send that stupid card,
I would be able to get version 1.5 for free. Go figure!

brian
oplinger@crd.ge.com

<#include standard.disclaimer>