[comp.sys.mac.apps] Disk collection organizer/cataloger needed

a_dent@vaxa.cc.uwa.oz.au (08/09/90)

A friend has asked me to write something, or find a package that will do...

He wants to be able to reconcile a vast collection of floppies and three hard
disks, to track down outdated copies of documents.

The program should be able to create a "delete-list" for a given floppy and
then ask for the floppies and delete the files.

The "delete-list" should be influenced by parameters such as "anything within
the same day/period is considered a current version" or manually checking the
files to be deleted.

The program should allow him to specify that the "n latest" versions be kept.

Naturally, it should produce a catalog at the end of this, by document so he
can go straight to the correct floppies.

I AM willing to write this so, if you're interested in seeing it as shareware
please also respond.  However, it would certainly be easier if there was an
existing retail or shareware program that exactly meets these needs :-)

Thanks in Advance

Andy Dent                     A.D. Software phone 09 249 2719
Mac & VAX programmer          94 Bermuda Dve, Ballajura
a_dent@vaxa.uwa.oz            Western Australia  6066
a_dent@vaxa.uwa.oz.AU (international)

wsinkees@wsinti01.info.win.tue.nl (Kees Huizing) (08/13/90)

a_dent@vaxa.cc.uwa.oz.au writes:

>He wants to be able to reconcile a vast collection of floppies and three hard
>disks, to track down outdated copies of documents.

>I AM willing to write this so, if you're interested in seeing it as shareware
>please also respond.  However, it would certainly be easier if there was an
>existing retail or shareware program that exactly meets these needs :-)

There is a Hypercard stack called something Floppy_Cat that could serve as a
basis for your program.  It includes a XCMD that quickly reads the contents
of a floppy and puts it on a card.  It has a lot of parameters to obtain
file information.  It provides an easy and quick way to catalog your
floppies, but the rest you have to write yourself (except the standard
hypercard find etc.).

I think it is on sumex-aim.stanford.edu in the directory card.

			Good luck,
			Kees

PS, I am interested in what you write or find.
--
Kees Huizing - Eindhoven Univ of Techn - Dept Math & Comp Sc - The Netherlands
DOMAIN: wsinkees@win.tue.nl    BITNET: wsdckeesh@heitue5    FAX: +31-40-436685