[comp.sys.mac.apps] Need help printing a booklet...

lius@utopia.rutgers.edu (Lius) (08/04/90)

Hidy do.  I'm need to print a booklet using 8 1/2" x 11" landscape
pages, folded in half and stapled in the middle.  Now I know that this
is a common way of doing things, but in all the page layout and
graphics design books I have, none say how exactly to lay out the
pages so that they are collated correctly when printed on both sides
and folded.  (e.g. page numbers 1,2 and 7,8 on one sheet, and page
numbers 3,4 and 5,6 on another).

The LaserWriter manual even gives an example of a booklet printed in
this form, but uses the archaic description that the person "used a
page-layout prgram".

Anyway, any help would be appreciated...

mcolthea@mqccsunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Max Coltheart) (08/04/90)

I have been able to print booklets in this foramt using NISUS - it has
this printing layout as an option.

MC

drc@claris.com (Dennis Cohen) (08/05/90)

lius@utopia.rutgers.edu (Lius) writes:

>Hidy do.  I'm need to print a booklet using 8 1/2" x 11" landscape
>pages, folded in half and stapled in the middle.  Now I know that this
>is a common way of doing things, but in all the page layout and
>graphics design books I have, none say how exactly to lay out the
>pages so that they are collated correctly when printed on both sides
>and folded.  (e.g. page numbers 1,2 and 7,8 on one sheet, and page
>numbers 3,4 and 5,6 on another).

There is a shareware utility (I believe that you can find it at sumex-aim)
called PocketBookMaker that will do this for you from the postscript file
that you generate with a cmd-F sequence in the print dialog of your
application or through the "To Disk" checkbox, if you have used one of the
utilities that makes it visible.  It works quite well and has the advantage
of letting you use whichever program you happen to like to generate the
output (except something like MPW that doesn't go through the print dialogs).

--
Dennis Cohen
Claris Corp.

wilcox@hydra.unm.edu (Sherman Wilcox) (08/05/90)

In article <Aug.4.00.13.45.1990.1040@utopia.rutgers.edu> lius@utopia.rutgers.edu (Lius) writes:
>Hidy do.  I'm need to print a booklet using 8 1/2" x 11" landscape
>pages, folded in half and stapled in the middle.  Now I know that this
>is a common way of doing things, but in all the page layout and
>graphics design books I have, none say how exactly to lay out the
>pages so that they are collated correctly when printed on both sides
>and folded.  (e.g. page numbers 1,2 and 7,8 on one sheet, and page
>numbers 3,4 and 5,6 on another).

What you need to do is get your hands on Nisus. It does this procedure
for you automatically! I've used it -- tremendous results.

hideg@spsd3260a.erim.org (Steve Hideg (Mr. Fabulous)) (08/06/90)

In article <11161@claris.com> drc@claris.com (Dennis Cohen) writes:
> There is a shareware utility (I believe that you can find it at sumex-aim)
> called PocketBookMaker that will do this for you from the postscript file
> that you generate with a cmd-F sequence in the print dialog of your
> application or through the "To Disk" checkbox, if you have used one of the
> utilities that makes it visible.  It works quite well and has the advantage
> of letting you use whichever program you happen to like to generate the
> output (except something like MPW that doesn't go through the print dialogs).

It's called PocketBook Writer. I have version 1.0, and it works very well.
The manual is even printed out as a pocket book. I printed our wedding ceremony programme using this and MS Word.

--Steve

____________________________________
Steve Hideg (N8HSC)

hideg@spsd3260a.erim.org

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (08/07/90)

In article <Aug.4.00.13.45.1990.1040@utopia.rutgers.edu> lius@utopia.rutgers.edu (Lius) writes:
>Hidy do.  I'm need to print a booklet using 8 1/2" x 11" landscape
>pages, folded in half and stapled in the middle.
>
>Anyway, any help would be appreciated...

You need to use a shareware program called "Pocketbook Writer." It will do what
you need done with _zero_ fuss. It should be on Sumex, but if not drop me a
line and I'll send a copy your way.

<chaz>

--
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
       "Must think...bubble pipe will relax me and I think..."

rotberg@dms.UUCP (Ed Rotberg) (08/07/90)

From article <Aug.4.00.13.45.1990.1040@utopia.rutgers.edu>, by lius@utopia.rutgers.edu (Lius):
> Hidy do.  I'm need to print a booklet using 8 1/2" x 11" landscape
> pages, folded in half and stapled in the middle.  Now I know that this
> is a common way of doing things, but in all the page layout and
> graphics design books I have, none say how exactly to lay out the
> pages so that they are collated correctly when printed on both sides
> and folded.  (e.g. page numbers 1,2 and 7,8 on one sheet, and page
> numbers 3,4 and 5,6 on another).

Fullwrite Professional has this option and it works great!!  You can buy
version 1.0 from one of the mail order places for $39!!.  When you register,
you get the free update to 1.1.  I use FWP for my manuals, and I really like
it a LOT better than Word, even given its slowness in some things.

	- Ed Rotberg -

jsimon@voodoo.ucsb.edu (08/07/90)

I don't know if this is helpful to you, but FullWrite will automatically put
portrait pages into the properly paged booklet format at half size. Choose Two
Up and Collate (and maybe something else) in the Print... dialog box.
Unfortunately it only works on postscript printers.

barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (08/07/90)

I used MicroSoft Word, and just selected two columns, and printed sideways.....
--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett@crd.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (08/08/90)

Chose "Print collated", "two up", and "both sides" in FullWrite, and
you get the cute little booklets.

						Tim Smith

vanover@bcsaic.UUCP (Jann VanOver) (08/14/90)

In article <11161@claris.com> drc@claris.com (Dennis Cohen) writes:
>lius@utopia.rutgers.edu (Lius) writes:
>
>>Hidy do.  I'm need to print a booklet using 8 1/2" x 11" landscape
>>pages, folded in half and stapled in the middle.
>
>There is a shareware utility (I believe that you can find it at sumex-aim)
>called PocketBookMaker that will do this for you from the postscript file

I just looked at sumex and couldn't find this.  Any more leads about
where it is, what the file name is, something?

Jann VanOver
vanover@atc.boeing.com

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (08/15/90)

Several people have written me asking for copies of PocketBookWriter.  Since
this program seems to be of more general interest, I would like to make the
following offer:

Send me a request and I willl send you PocketBookWriter.

If anyone would like to tell me how, I will also submit it to sumex.

Also, to those who have already requested a copy...I inadvertantly lost your
names.  Please remail them.  thanks.

<chaz>