[comp.sys.mac.apps] Word 3.2 -> Word 4.0 Question

wheeler@bwdls58.UUCP (Cheryl Wheeler) (08/14/90)

Is there some (simple) way to copy my Work Menu contents and Style
definitions from Word 3.2 to Word 4.0? This is the one (well, 2 :)
obstacles preventing my making extensive use of Word 4.0, since it
is so much easier to use my already-customized 3.2 version.

Cheryl Wheeler

(Witty .sig messages supported in the next release.)

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) (08/14/90)

In article <3909@bwdls58.UUCP> wheeler@bwdls58.UUCP (Cheryl Wheeler) writes:
>Is there some (simple) way to copy my Work Menu contents and Style
>definitions from Word 3.2 to Word 4.0? This is the one (well, 2 :)
>obstacles preventing my making extensive use of Word 4.0, since it
>is so much easier to use my already-customized 3.2 version.

You can open a word 3.x doc into word 4.0, with (most) style
information intact.  'layout' things (columns etc.) will probably
not translate nicely.

You will have to redo the menu customization, but you would want to
anyway since word 4's menu customization is so much more powerful.

boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) (08/15/90)

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) writes:

>You can open a word 3.x doc into word 4.0, with (most) style
>information intact.  'layout' things (columns etc.) will probably
>not translate nicely.

Actually, side-by-side columns will translate very nicely, and are fully
editable until you convert them into a real Word 4 table (although there's
no going back to side-by-side once you do).

Boris Levitin
WGBH Public Broadcasting, Boston                         boris@world.std.com
Audience & Marketing Research              wgbx!boris_levitin@athena.mit.edu
(The opinions expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily coincide
with those of my employer or anyone else.  The WGBH tag is for ID only.)