[comp.sys.mac.apps] disk Cataloger/Organizer - NO MORE MAIL!

a_dent@vaxa.cc.uwa.oz.au (08/14/90)

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!

Several people have mentioned FileSet 1.3 and posted source to me.  I'm pretty
busy until September but will be looking at the code then and will post a
comment to the net on how the project goes.  Don't expect to see much before
late September on this, even if FileSet provides a lot of the source for the
disk cataloging (which I already had some rough home-grown stuff for) I see
the big challenge in this project being the user-interface and the rules for
eliminating old files.

Thanks for all the responses...

Andy Dent                     A.D. Software phone 09 249 2719
Mac & VAX programmer          94 Bermuda Dve, Ballajura
a_dent@vaxa.uwa.oz            Western Australia  6066
a_dent@vaxa.uwa.oz.AU (international)

kenney@hsi.UUCP (Brian Kenney) (08/14/90)

In article <1990Aug14.095941.2056@vaxa.cc.uwa.oz.au> a_dent@vaxa.cc.uwa.oz.au writes:

>ENOUGH ALREADY!!!
>
>Thanks for all the responses...

You should cancel your original article instead of posting a second.
By the time people read your second article, they have already sent
you info.  If you're using rn, type a "C" when you're viewing
the article you'd like to cancel.

>Andy Dent                     A.D. Software phone 09 249 2719
>Mac & VAX programmer          94 Bermuda Dve, Ballajura
>a_dent@vaxa.uwa.oz            Western Australia  6066
>a_dent@vaxa.uwa.oz.AU (international)
        ^^^
  I don't know how to cancel using VAX software, though.  Ah, well...

Hope I helped some folks...

-bri
--
       Brian Kenney                                      kenney@hsi.com

aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) (08/15/90)

kenney@hsi.UUCP (Brian Kenney) writes:

>In article <1990Aug14.095941.2056@vaxa.cc.uwa.oz.au> a_dent@vaxa.cc.uwa.oz.au writes:
>
>>ENOUGH ALREADY!!!
>>
>>Thanks for all the responses...

>You should cancel your original article instead of posting a second.
>By the time people read your second article, they have already sent
>you info.  If you're using rn, type a "C" when you're viewing
>the article you'd like to cancel.

Canceling isn't an instantaneous process, and doesn't always work.  Strangely
enough, an example is in my reading of this group today.  There is an article
about SoundMover and there is another article by the same person, dated the
next day (14th then 15t) which states that he canceled the Aug 14th article.
Yet, although I see the Aug 15th post, I still see the Aug 14th post.  (Dates
provided to diferentiate).  I don't know if that's our mail system, a fluke,
or generally true.  A local expert (ie someone who knows more than me) says that
canceling is nice, but once an article leaves a site, you can consider it gone.

Brian

P.S.  I use nn which lets me see all subject lines before reading any posts,
so his post would have stopped me.