[comp.sys.mac.apps] Now what was that program...

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (08/16/90)

At one time or another, I remember seeing a program that would set
your screen bit depth depending on what applications you launched.
Anyone know the name of this program (app/init/whatever) or know
where I can find a copy?

Thanks in advance --

Ken

--
Ken Hancock                   | This account needs a new home in MA...
Isle Systems                  | Can you provide a link for it?

In article <23677@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) writes:
>At one time or another, I remember seeing a program that would set
>your screen bit depth depending on what applications you launched.
>Anyone know the name of this program (app/init/whatever) or know
>where I can find a copy?

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question.  For those who are
interested, the answer is HandOff II.  Fortunately, one of the folks
to reply was a friend who had just purchased a copy at MacWorld.  He
brought his copy over last night, but much to my chagrin, it was
bomb-city on my machine.

A couple things I noted:

1) Does not work with _Launch 3.0.
   I'm interested in HandOff primarily for games since they're the
   only beings in the Mac world who seem particularly choosy about
   their environment.  Games like Solarian brought up their
   "Please set your monitor to 256 colors" dialog, and then HandOff II
   would kick in and set the monitor...not too helpful after the fact.

2) Using the HandOff menu for launching applications dies on my
   machine in a very evil way.  More playing with this tonight.

Hopefully, I'll try renaming it tonight to see if changing the load
order will get it to work on my system and improve the timing
problems.  It looks like a wonderful utility, but if it don't work,
I'm not going to go out and buy a copy...

Ken