[comp.sys.mac.apps] Using FastFormatter 3.0

psych@watserv1.waterloo.edu (R.Crispin - Psychology) (08/14/90)

I tried using Fast Formatter 3.0 yesterday and found that it would
have problems with nearly every disk that I formated. It was
successful with 1 out of 6. I tried these with Fast Formatter 2.22
and they formatted no problems. I have quite a few inits/cdevs that
could interfer with formating (Dos mounter, Daynafile, MacJanet etc).
I have never had this problem with the apple formater or with 2.22.

Has any one got any suggestions or help.

Thanks

Richard Crispin              Phone:    (519)888-4781
Dept. of Psychology          Bitnet:   psych@watdcs
University of Waterloo       Internet: psych@watserv1.UWaterloo.ca
Waterloo, Ont.   Canada   N2L 3G1

barry@playfair.stanford.edu (Barrett P. Eynon) (08/15/90)

In article <1990Aug14.120411.25857@watserv1.waterloo.edu> psych@watserv1.waterloo.edu (R.Crispin - Psychology) writes:
>I tried using Fast Formatter 3.0 yesterday and found that it would
>have problems with nearly every disk that I formated. It was
>successful with 1 out of 6. I tried these with Fast Formatter 2.22
>and they formatted no problems. I have quite a few inits/cdevs that
>could interfer with formating (Dos mounter, Daynafile, MacJanet etc).
>I have never had this problem with the apple formater or with 2.22.

I seem to remember running into this problem as well - when I switched
to Finder only, it worked fine, as I recall. Hopefully the author
will fix this, as otherwise Fast Formatter is the best floppy formatter
I've seen.

--
Barry Eynon
barry@playfair.stanford.edu

rcoahk@koel.co.rmit.oz (Alvaro Hui Kau) (08/16/90)

From article <1990Aug14.120411.25857@watserv1.waterloo.edu>, by psych@watserv1.waterloo.edu (R.Crispin - Psychology):
> I tried using Fast Formatter 3.0 yesterday and found that it would
> have problems with nearly every disk that I formated. It was
> successful with 1 out of 6. I tried these with Fast Formatter 2.22
> and they formatted no problems. I have quite a few inits/cdevs that
> could interfer with formating (Dos mounter, Daynafile, MacJanet etc).
> I have never had this problem with the apple formater or with 2.22.
>
> Has any one got any suggestions or help.

I tried FF 3.0 some time ago and found that when Desktop manager
is active, the program will hang after formating the first disk :
The program will ask you back for the newly formated disk and then
you won't be able to get it out of the disk drive again with the eject
buttom..........Fortunately "command-shift-1" works!

Anyone can verify this?

P.S. FF 2.22 seems more stable.....

Alvaro Hui			|ACSnet		akkh@mullian.oz
4th Year B.E.\ B.Sc.		|Arpanet	rcoahk@koel.co.rmit.OZ.AU
University of Melbourne		|Arpa-relay	akkh%mullian.oz@uunet.uu.net
				|Uunet		....!munnari!mullian!akkh
				|EAN		akkh@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au
Alvaro Hui			|ACSnet		akkh@mullian.oz
				|Internet &	akkh@mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU
4th Year B.E.\ B.Sc.		|Arpanet	rcoahk@koel.co.rmit.OZ.AU

Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (08/19/90)

Barrett P. Eynon  writes in a message on 08/14/90 at 18:41:57 ...

BPE>  I seem to remember running into this problem as well - when
BPE>  I switched to Finder only, it worked fine, as I recall. Hopefully
BPE>  the author will fix this, as otherwise Fast Formatter is the
BPE>  best floppy formatter I've seen.

The author isn't too likely to fix anything in Fast Formatter; Beyond, Inc.
was the publisher, and they've gone out of business.

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.2!Adam.Frix