[comp.sys.mac.apps] AWK on MAC?

janus@ux.acs.umn.edu (Louis Janus) (08/19/90)

I am very fond of AWK, using the standard UNIX version often,
as well as the MKS toolkit version on my Zenith Z-100.  Am
switching some of my research to a Mac II ci and would be
thrilled to be able to use AWK or something AWK-ish.  I do
not run (or plan to run) A-UX.

Thanks, awkwardly.

Louis Janus
Scandinavian Dept.
U of Minnesota

weigele@fbihh.UUCP (Martin Weigele) (08/20/90)

janus@ux.acs.umn.edu (Louis Janus) writes:

>I am very fond of AWK, using the standard UNIX version often,
>as well as the MKS toolkit version on my Zenith Z-100.  Am
>switching some of my research to a Mac II ci and would be
>thrilled to be able to use AWK or something AWK-ish.  I do
>not run (or plan to run) A-UX.

Either:

(i) Convince the Apple board to give up silly lawsuits, then
you could probably get GNU's gawk to work under MPW.
I have been trying to get other GNU tools for use on the MAC,
but the GNU people say they are boycotting Apple. This is
very sad, but I think it is Apple who should change their
policiy rather than GNU.

(ii) Try to port it yourself using MPW C and the gawk source.
Note however the (still existing!) limitations of MPW C for
large data structures (in version 3.1) could make this difficult.

Martin Weigele, FB Informatik, Univ. Hamburg