[comp.sys.mac.apps] DiskDoubler

ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) (07/29/90)

Does anybody out there have any experience with DiskDoubler?
Does it work? and if so, what sort of average disk space do
you find you're saving?
--Gerry
ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu
maxg@suvm  (bitnet)

dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) (08/03/90)

DiskDoubler 2.0 has been working well for me, it shrinks my MS Word 4
files by more than half. The best feature about it is that the DD menu
is right there in the Finder menu bar; just select a file or a whole
folder, choose Compress from the menu and away it goes -- very fast to
use. The support I've received from Salient, the author-publishers, has
also been excellent.

Dana E. Keil, dana@are.berkeley.edu

cory@three.MV.COM (Cory Kempf) (08/03/90)

ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) writes:

>Does anybody out there have any experience with DiskDoubler?
>Does it work? and if so, what sort of average disk space do
>you find you're saving?

With the shareware version, I found that it workedd quite well...
on the order of 50% savings was average.  And it was pretty fast
too.  Add to that not having to wait for the application to
load, and it was a winner hands down.  I am not supprised at all
that it is now a commercial product.  I have not yet had a chance
to install the commercial version, so I can't comment on it yet.

+C
--
Cory Kempf				I do speak for the company (sometimes).
The Enigami Co.							603 883 2474

mlbarrow@athena.mit.edu (Michael L Barrow) (08/11/90)

In article <398@three.MV.COM> cory@three.MV.COM (Cory Kempf) writes:
> >Does anybody out there have any experience with DiskDoubler?
> >Does it work? and if so, what sort of average disk space do
> >you find you're saving?
>
> With the shareware version, I found that it workedd quite well...
> on the order of 50% savings was average.  And it was pretty fast
> too.  Add to that not having to wait for the application to
> load, and it was a winner hands down.  I am not supprised at all
> that it is now a commercial product.  I have not yet had a chance
> to install the commercial version, so I can't comment on it yet.
>
> +C
> --
> Cory Kempf                              I do speak for the company
(sometimes)

I just saw it at MacWorld today and it looks really great! It can
compress/decompress docs on the fly when you open/close them! In addition,
you can make archive files. You can also double-click on a DD compressed
file and have it open DD and uncompress!

It looks really good and it is selling at their both for a mere 50 bucks.

------
Michael L Barrow
mlbarrow@athena.mit.edu
MIT Information Services Consultant
Project Athena Volunteer User Consultant
Member, Student Information Processing Board (SIPB)

warner@scubed.com (Ken Warner) (08/11/90)

>In article <398@three.MV.COM> cory@three.MV.COM (Cory Kempf) writes:
>Does anybody out there have any experience with DiskDoubler?
>Does it work? and if so, what sort of average disk space do
>you find you're saving?

I got it.  It works great.  I like it.  It's worth the money.  I save about 50%
in file size.  They sent me an upgrade without me asking.

Ken Warner

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (08/17/90)

>Does anybody out there have any experience with DiskDoubler?

I've got 3.0 and love it. It can open compressed files either from a
double-click in the Finder, or from an SFGetFile (decompress on the way in,
compress on the way out). It's an excellent product. I'd say I save roughly
50% in file size. Another nice feature is that it decompresses Stuffit
archives into their own folders.

I do have one problem though, OF COURSE with Microsoft Excel v1.5. I've
compressed all my worksheets, and while a double click from the Finder will
open them correctly, I cannot open them from an SFGetFile. The decompression
starts, then I get a message about "folders nested too deeply". I've moved the
program and the sheets into various folders, and nothing helps. Any ideas? I
suspect this is not Salient's fault.

 /~~)  /~~  /   |      long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com       | Don't take life too
/~~\  /__  /__  | ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long | seriously; you won't
Richard C. Long | long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com | get out alive anyway.

tdenny@psueea.uucp (Tom Denny) (08/18/90)

In article <14667@shlump.nac.dec.com> long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) writes:

>>Does anybody out there have any experience with DiskDoubler?
>
>I've got 3.0 and love it. It can open compressed files either from a
>double-click in the Finder, or from an SFGetFile (decompress on the way in,
>compress on the way out). It's an excellent product. I'd say I save roughly...

	I would like to run DiskDoubler off of a server (such as singleshare),
and was hoping someone could tell me, before I purchased DiskDoubler,
if this would cause problems (if two
people wanted to use the same application, what would DiskDoubler do?)

	Thanks in advance!

Tom Denny/ CSNET tdenny@jove.cs.pdx.edu
         \ UUCP {ucbvax, decvax, ihnp4, orstcs}!tektronix!psueea!jove!tdenny
           ARPANET tdenny%jove.cs.pdx.edu@relay.cs.net

Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (08/20/90)

Rich Long   writes in a message on 08/17/90 at 16:11:11 ...

RL>  I do have one problem though, OF COURSE with Microsoft Excel
RL>  v1.5. I've compressed all my worksheets, and while a double
RL>  click from the Finder will open them correctly, I cannot open
RL>  them from an SFGetFile. The decompression starts, then I get
RL>  a message about "folders nested too deeply". I've moved the program
RL>  and the sheets into various folders, and nothing helps. Any
RL>  ideas? I suspect this is not Salient's fault.

Call up Salient and ask for DD 3.0a.  It was a bug fix, put together Thursday
8/16 finally after several, similar problems cropped up and were put to the
attention of the programmer.  In a flash of insight, he recognized where the
problem lay, and fixed it.  It was subtle, but serious.  I don't know if this
will solve your problem, but you should have 3.0a anyway.

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.2!Adam.Frix

pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (08/21/90)

In article <14667@shlump.nac.dec.com>, long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) writes:
>>Does anybody out there have any experience with DiskDoubler?

No need to add much to Rich's description, I just wanted to add my
voice to the people who love DiskDoubler. It's a very well done
product that was well worth the $40 I got it for at Macworld. It could
use a better manual, but you don't need the manual at all because it
is so easy to use.

Adam

> I've got 3.0 and love it. It can open compressed files either from a
> double-click in the Finder, or from an SFGetFile (decompress on the way in,
> compress on the way out). It's an excellent product. I'd say I save roughly
> 50% in file size. Another nice feature is that it decompresses Stuffit
> archives into their own folders.
>
> I do have one problem though, OF COURSE with Microsoft Excel v1.5. I've
> compressed all my worksheets, and while a double click from the Finder will
> open them correctly, I cannot open them from an SFGetFile. The decompression
> starts, then I get a message about "folders nested too deeply". I've moved the
> program and the sheets into various folders, and nothing helps. Any ideas? I
> suspect this is not Salient's fault.

>  /~~)  /~~  /   |      long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com       | Don't take life too
> /~~\  /__  /__  | ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long | seriously; you won't
> Richard C. Long | long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com | get out alive anyway.
--
Adam C. Engst                                pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
"I ain't worried and I ain't scurried and I'm having a good time"