[comp.sys.mac.apps] Adobe PhotoShop icons

meuchen@grad2.cis.upenn.edu (Paul Eric Menchen) (08/20/90)

Using Adobe PhotoShop on two machines and running off a number of
different hard drives I have seen two different icon sets for Adobe
PhotoShop and was wondering which were in some sense correct and what
might be done to resolve the inconsistencies. Sometimes the icons look
pretty much like the main program icon with the appropriate changes
for file type. The eye is still there. At other times, however, the
icons look like a shutter for a camera with the appropriate file type
info. These are what the PhotoShop icons look like in the program
using ResEdit. After first installation of PhotoShop the icons look
like the main program with the eye.

We have two copies of PhotoShop but one package is still shrink wrapped.
All installation has been done from the same original. We are running
on two Mac IIcx's. I think both are running Desktop Manager. The
problem isn't just accross machines. Sometimes icons change and are
different on the same machine. By necessity I have had the program
running off of a number of different disks (removable SyQuest hard
disk and R/W optical).

Any thoughts? I know I could rebuild the desktop, but since I'm using
Desktop Manager I don't know if this will help. I think I did it once
already. Also, I don't think this will stop the problem in the future.
What's causing it, and what do your icons look like?

-Eric
meuchen@grad1.cis.upenn.edu

knoll@well.sf.ca.us (John Knoll) (08/21/90)

The document eyeball icons are from a pre-release beta version of Photoshop.
The document icons were switched to the shutter shortly before the program
shipped.

Most likely, the old icons are present because there was a pre-release
version of Photoshop on one of your disks, or documents from a pre-release
version.

What do my icons look like?  My Photoshop application icon is the 1hr photo
booth, and the document icons are little film cannisters. (MUCH better than
Adobe's all-too-serious icons)

hammen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Robert Hammen) (08/22/90)

In article <28622@netnews.upenn.edu> meuchen@grad1.cis.upenn.edu (Paul Eric Menchen) writes:
>Using Adobe PhotoShop on two machines and running off a number of
>different hard drives I have seen two different icon sets for Adobe
>PhotoShop and was wondering which were in some sense correct and what
>might be done to resolve the inconsistencies.

The icons for Photoshop (note the capitalization - there's no InterCap there!)
were changed between the beta version and the final release (the icon for the
beta application looked like an old Fotomat store :). It's possible that some
files may have inherited the "old" icons. Note that Knoll Software, the
developers of Photoshop, released an updater application to CompuServe that
restores their "original" icons...

Robert

/ Robert Hammen | Macintosh enthusiast & publishing guru, looking for a job /
/ hammen@ddsw1.mcs.com | 70701.2104@compuserve.com | GEnie: R.HAMMEN        /