[comp.sys.mac.apps] Screen snapshot with menus

eichmann@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (David Eichmann) (08/22/90)

  I'm looking for a way to do a screen snapshot that includes pull-down
menus.  Any recommendations?

- Dave
===
David Eichmann
Dept. of Statistics and Computer Science
West Virginia University                  Phone: (304) 293-3607
Morgantown, WV  26506                     Email: eichmann@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu

ABurton@massey.ac.nz (A.K. Burton) (08/22/90)

In article <863@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> eichmann@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (David Eichmann) writes:

>  I'm looking for a way to do a screen snapshot that includes pull-down
>menus.  Any recommendations?

What you need is a screen capture utility (I use Capture 2.0) and a little init called MenuSaver. MenuSaver allows you to select the pull-down menu you want to capture and then you use the screen capture keyboard sequence you would normally use and you have your pull down menu.

Capture 2.0 is a commercial screen capture utility, I also understand that Exposure is very good. You can get a shareware screen capture utility from anonymous FTP from sumex (36.44.0.6) called screensnap 2.2 in the /info-mac/utils directory. I haven't tried the combination of screensnap and menusaver so I'm not certain it will work. Menusaver is shareware/PD I can't remember which. If people want it I will track down the exact source.

Hope that helps.

Allan Burton
Macintosh Consultant
Massey University
Palmerston North
New Zealand
Email A.K.Burton@massey.ac.nz

cckweiss@castor (08/22/90)

In article <863@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> eichmann@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (David Eichmann) writes:

>  I'm looking for a way to do a screen snapshot that includes pull-down
>menus.  Any recommendations?
>
>- Dave

I use SnapJot for screen capture. It cost about $40.00 from Mac
Connection. It is far and away the best screen capture utility I've
used. It will capture anything, at any time, including pull-down menus
and modal dialog boxes. It will save as Paint or PICT, in at least 256
colors. It keeps all captures open as screen windows, until you close
them. That is, when you capture a screen or part of a screen, SnapJot
puts the capture into a window that you can move around, save, or close.
Great software, no conflicts I've found (and I use Multifinder with
about 15 INITs), and great support, the one time I actually needed it.
Oh yeah, and it runs on every Mac. I use it on a ci with the internal
video. No problem.

Ken Weiss

vturner@nmsu.EDU (Vaughan Turner) (08/22/90)

Have you tried FlashIt from sumex?  It may not be the most capable,
but it will capture menus, and although I think it will capture
colors, I haven't had the need to try that (If anyone would like to
send me a color laserwriter, I'll try it out! :-)

[Archived as: /info-mac/cdev/flash-it-12b2.hqx]

Hope this helps,

Vaughan
--
Vaughan Turner                               BITNET:    mcswvt@nmsuvm1.bitnet
Box 3AT Computer Center        preferred-->  INTERNET:  vturner@nmsu.edu

Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (08/24/90)

DE>    I'm looking for a way to do a screen snapshot that includes
DE>  pull-down menus.  Any recommendations?

I've got an INIT called MenuPicture which allows this--I even get snapshots
while using the Shortcut/Boomerang menu from within the SF box.

From the MenuPicture docs:

-----------------------

What it is

This little piece of software allows FKEY's (command-shift-number key combinations)
to get executed while the mouse is down.  It lets the command-shift-3 FKEY in
the system make screen pictures while you have a menu pulled down, for instance.

Usage

To install MenuPicture INIT, simply drag it into your System Folder and restart
your Macintosh.  Drag it out of the System Folder and restart to remove the
INIT.  To temporarily disable it, hold down just about any key while your Mac
boots (Shift is a sure bet).  You will find that while the mouse is down, if
the command and Shift keys are  down, the system will respond to things you
type (like command-shift-3, which creates a MacPaint image of the screen).

Depending on your needs, you may or may not want the cursor visible in your
picture.  If either the Caps Lock key or Control key (on new keyboards) is down,
the cursor will be hidden in the picture.  If both Caps Lock and Control are
up, the cursor will be visible.

How it Works

MenuPicture works by patching the Macintosh ROM routine StillDown.  Every time
StillDown is called, the INIT sees if there is a key-down event pending, and
if the command and shift keys are down.  If so, it calls GetNextEvent, which
processes the event.

Hope this helps.

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.2!Adam.Frix