[comp.sys.mac.apps] HD Util

ssheng@glacier.berkeley.edu (Sam Sheng) (08/25/90)

I just saw a program called HD Util (version 3.0?), which can patch a
"protected (key disk)" program that comes on a floppy so it will run
on a hard drive.  Several questions:  I noticed FWB software says that
it will provide new patches.  How often do new patches come out?  Any net
access to new ones?

Also, I'd like some info on making my own.  Does anybody know how these
patches are created (such as the format, and how to examine a program to
determine what piece of the code needs to be patched)?  I've tried
doing this before using MacsBugs, except 9 times out of 10 the program
crashes after I issue a break.

Thanks!
Sam Sheng
(ssheng@zion.berkeley.edu)

logic@wet.UUCP (Henry Kwan) (08/26/90)

In article <27203@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> ssheng@zion.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Sam Sheng) writes:
>I just saw a program called HD Util (version 3.0?), which can patch a
>"protected (key disk)" program that comes on a floppy so it will run
>on a hard drive.  Several questions:  I noticed FWB software says that
>it will provide new patches.  How often do new patches come out?  Any net
>access to new ones?

The current version of Hard Disk Util is 3.01.  It has over 350 different
patches for different versions of programs.  Among the schemes supported are
key disks, ADB dongles, and SCSI dongles.  New versions come out about every
10-12 weeks.  Updates are available for $15 plus the master disk.  For
quicker access, you can subscribe to the BBS (415-775-2384 running on an USR
Dual Standard) so that you can download them directly.

>Also, I'd like some info on making my own.  Does anybody know how these
>patches are created (such as the format, and how to examine a program to
>determine what piece of the code needs to be patched)?  I've tried
>doing this before using MacsBugs, except 9 times out of 10 the program
>crashes after I issue a break.

We have several different formats for patches including regular patches,
Trojan Horse, Trojan Horse II, and Stealth.  Since I'm not the programmer, I
can't elaborate on the methods but they do take quite a bit of time and
knowledge before they can be successfully created.  This is especially true
with the newer programs which utilize the more advanced methods of
protection.

For a list of programs that Hard Disk Util supports, please write to us at
the address below or call us at (415)474-8055.  Thank you.

--
Henry Kwan                |  AppleLink: D0690
FWB, Inc.                 |  CompuServe: 71320,1034