[comp.sys.mac.apps] Want name of date setting utility

aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) (08/23/90)

I'm looking for the name of a utility that'll allow me to set the
dates on files, in other words, the date you see when you view by
name.  This is the date that a backup program would use?

The name and location (anonymous ftp is best, natch) is enough.  Any
more you can add would be bonus.

The backup program I use goes by dates, and a lot of unchanging files
have a date of 2040 which I think is the Mac's top end of dates.  I'm
assuming that this is the only date that can be set, and that the
backup program (Tecmar QT Backup) uses this for incrementals.  Any Tecmar
people out there?  E-mail me!

I want to set the date on all of the files to the current date, any other
functions would be, uh, bonus.

advaTHANKSnce!  Brian Aslakson
--
Macintosh related:  mac-admin@cs.umn.edu
All else:  aslakson@cs.umn.edu

brian%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Brian Feinberg) (08/29/90)

In <1990Aug23.062342.2636@cs.umn.edu> aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) writes:

>I'm looking for the name of a utility that'll allow me to set the
>dates on files, in other words, the date you see when you view by
>name.  This is the date that a backup program would use?

If you have ResEdit, that will do the trick nicely. I had some files
with a bogus creation and modify date that were as a result ALWAYS backed
up when I did an incremental backup, and ResEdit lets you change all of these.

-- Brian Feinberg

aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) (08/30/90)

brian%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Brian Feinberg) writes:
>aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) writes:

>>I'm looking for the name of a utility that'll allow me to set the
>>dates on files, in other words, the date you see when you view by
>>name.  This is the date that a backup program would use?

>If you have ResEdit, that will do the trick nicely. I had some files
>with a bogus creation and modify date that were as a result ALWAYS backed
>up when I did an incremental backup, and ResEdit lets you change all of these.

Someone emailed me with the same suggestion, which is fine, except...  can
I use it to get all 6.5 Megs worth of future dated files back to the present?
I back up (currently) about 90 Megs worth of files, on 3 volumes, and there
are about 6.5 Megs worth total of files that think they were created in 2040.
Huh.  I understand why 2040, but I want a utility that'll change all dates
to the present (Just before the next Level 0, natch), and let me do similar
* and -r type things.  (* meaning all files or a match of certain criteria, and
-r means recursive to subdirectories.)  I know MS-DOS, and there are utilities
to change this info, and I'm sure that the Mac has such utilities....so:
Help me!  (I've fallen and I can't get up)

Brian
--

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (08/30/90)

In article <1990Aug29.175547.1321@cs.umn.edu> aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) writes:
>brian%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Brian Feinberg) writes:
>>aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) writes:
>Someone emailed me with the same suggestion, which is fine, except...  can
>I use it to get all 6.5 Megs worth of future dated files back to the present?
>I back up (currently) about 90 Megs worth of files, on 3 volumes, and there
>are about 6.5 Megs worth total of files that think they were created in 2040.
>Huh.  I understand why 2040, but I want a utility that'll change all dates
>to the present (Just before the next Level 0, natch), and let me do similar

I haven't actually come across mention of it in the manual, but when
I ran Norton Utilities for the Mac Disk Doctor on my Mac the first
time It collected a list of "Prepostorous Date on File" filenames
for both 2040 and 1904 dates, then asked me if I wanted them fixed.

I said yes, Disk Doctor said "Fixed."

Brian
>--
>Macintosh related:  mac-admin@cs.umn.edu
>All else:  aslakson@cs.umn.edu

jim
Jim Budler          jimb@silvlis.com       +1.408.991.6061
Silvar-Lisco, Inc. 703 E. Evelyn Ave. Sunnyvale, Ca. 94086