[comp.sys.mac.apps] Wanted: Comments on 4th Dimension from Acius

jennings@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (07/15/90)

hello all
i am very new to this user group so i am not sure if this is the correct group
for the questions i am going to ask.
i would like some comments on the 4th Dimension Database from Acius.
how does it compared to other databases in the market ?
is it the database of the future?
how many people out there is using it right now, and how do they feel about the
product?

well bye for now
thanks in advance

egill@rimfaxe.diku.dk (Egill Masson) (08/07/90)

A friend of mine is using 4th Dim regularly, and is
very pleased with it.  He prefers it by far to dBase4
that he had been using earlier on.

However he has a complaint I would like to forward
to the net.  The user-hostile copy protection
is irritating.  Every time he wants to open a
datebase file, 4th Dimension prompts for a specific
floppy disk that is distributed with the package.

Has anyone out there a patch for this?

Egill Masson  egill@diku.dk
Univ. of Copenhagen.

boortz@sics.se (Kent Boortz) (08/10/90)

In article <1990Aug7.135147.4180@diku.dk> egill@rimfaxe.diku.dk (Egill Masson) writes:

   However he has a complaint I would like to forward
   to the net.  The user-hostile copy protection
   is irritating.  Every time he wants to open a
   datebase file, 4th Dimension prompts for a specific
   floppy disk that is distributed with the package.

Every time? My experience is that 4D almost NEVER asks for this diskette.

Kent Boortz
boortz@sics.se

anjrs1@acad2.anc.alaska.edu (SWENSEN JESSE R) (08/11/90)

In article <1990Aug10.081929.5767@sics.se>, boortz@sics.se (Kent Boortz) writes...

>   The user-hostile copy protection
>   is irritating.  Every time he wants to open a
>   datebase file, 4th Dimension prompts for a specific
>   floppy disk that is distributed with the package.
>
>Every time? My experience is that 4D almost NEVER asks for this diskette.

This must be something unique to the European version of 4D.  I have been a
developer for 2 years and have never been asked for a key disk.

Jesse Swensen

manuel@cnam.UUCP (manuel bouyssou) (08/13/90)

Well, well..

In fact most of European versions of 4th Dimension are copy-protected, but
NOT the US one (You're lucky one ;-). You should use the ORIGINAL floppy
disk to launch 4D, or whenever your Mac ask for it. Of course, as it is
COPY-PROTECTED there's no patches.

However, IF you've a US version, WITH protection, THEN ask ACIUS to
replace it. Hope this may help ;-)

rad@genco.uucp (Bob Daniel) (08/31/90)

In article <193@cnam.UUCP> manuel@cnam.UUCP (manuel bouyssou) writes:
>Well, well..
>
>In fact most of European versions of 4th Dimension are copy-protected, but
>NOT the US one (You're lucky one ;-). You should use the ORIGINAL floppy
>disk to launch 4D, or whenever your Mac ask for it. Of course, as it is
>COPY-PROTECTED there's no patches.
>
>However, IF you've a US version, WITH protection, THEN ask ACIUS to
>replace it. Hope this may help ;-)

The 4D 2.1 Development isn't copy protected but the Compiler is.  After 40
or so uses of the Compiler, it asks for the original disk.  I'm not at all
thrilled with this.  Acius shouldn't fight copy protection where it's the
developers who have to pay.  If I that disk goes bad, I don't want to have
to wait for another disk in order to get a project out the door.  I think
serial numbers is enough protection.