[comp.sys.mac.apps] Macwrite II document reflow

mryman@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Mark Ryman) (08/31/90)

When using Macwrite II sometimes I would like to leave blank sections to go back
and add graphics later.  However, I have a problem when I open the document.
I get a message: Document will be reflowed, with no alternative but to click on
OK.  Can this be avoided?  Why does it happen?  Thanks,
                                                       -Mark

JAH4@psuvm.psu.edu (JEFFREY A. HAMMAN) (09/01/90)

In article <1845@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU>, mryman@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Mark Ryman)
says:

>When using Macwrite II sometimes I would like to leave blank sections to go   k
>bac
                       *lines deleted*
>I get a message: Document will be reflowed, with no alternative but to click
>on
>OK.  Can this be avoided?  Why does it happen?  Thanks,
>                                                       -Mark

         The following is a note that I wrote earlier on this subject.
*****
 Subject:  A MacWrite II Bug  -  'Document Will Be Reflowed' Error  - In
a note that I sent out some time ago, outlining a problem associated
with the earlier version of MacWrite II version 1.0v1, there was a prob-
lem with its ability to handle multiple cuts and pastes and updating the
document and it sometimes got a 'document will be reflowed error' when
it did a reflow.

 Solution:  "Sometimes this does not mean disaster, and no difference
exists after reflowing.  Sometimes, however, this difference can be as
bad as over 1000 pages, several hundred, or only 2 or 3.   Upon using
"show invisibles", there are no page break codes to give the other
blank pages.   I think sometimes users disregard this message if they
happen to see it at all and then don't think twice about it.  I'm not
saying this is the case all the time with the problem that you are see-
ing, but I'm sure it happens in some cases .   The new version of of
MacWrite II (version 1.0v2) (however 1.1 exists now) corrects this prob-
lem. The solution for a badly reflowed document is to use either the
program 1st Aid HFS/Work on File/Extract Test or the program Can Opener
and extract the text.
 Comments:  You may also be able to do a SAVE AS in MacWrite II and then
save it as text.  Either way, the user is in for some formatting because
they can only get back ASCII text, no Bold, centered, font, or any type
of margin settings or tabs will be there.
                                         Jeffrey Hamman jah4@psuvm.psu.edu
                                         Microcomputer Systems Consultant
                                         Coordinator, Student Support
                                         Penn State University