[comp.sys.mac.apps] Telnet 2.4Beta & MacTCP

ccastvf@prism.gatech.EDU (Vincent Fox) (08/27/90)

The 2.4Beta I found for ftp is the MacTCP version. Strangely enough
zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu doesn't have the MacTCP drivers nor does
Sumex. Any ideas where I can dig up a copy?

rbrewer@reed.bitnet (Robert S. Brewer,Box129,7771551,,7754134) (08/28/90)

In article <13043@hydra.gatech.EDU> ccastvf@prism.gatech.EDU (Vincent Fox) writes:
>The 2.4Beta I found for ftp is the MacTCP version. Strangely enough
>zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu doesn't have the MacTCP drivers nor does
>Sumex. Any ideas where I can dig up a copy?

The reason you can't find MacTCP for anonymous ftp is because it is a
copyrighted work, and _not_ publicly redistributable. You can purchase a one
copy license from APDA for ~$100, or if you belong to an organization, you can
get a site license ($1000-$2000?). There are some products (like Mathematica)
which have MacTCP bundled with them. Better call APDA...

Disclaimer: Not that it really matters, but I am affiliated with Wolfram
Research, Inc., makers of Mathematica.

ALC@psuvm.psu.edu (08/28/90)

In article <13043@hydra.gatech.EDU>, ccastvf@prism.gatech.EDU (Vincent Fox)
says:

>The 2.4Beta I found for ftp is the MacTCP version. Strangely enough
>zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu doesn't have the MacTCP drivers nor does
>Sumex. Any ideas where I can dig up a copy?

Not strange at all, since the MacTCP driver is NOT a public domain product.
If you want it, you'll have to purchase a copy from APDA -- cost $100.00

ccastvf@prism.gatech.EDU (Vincent Fox) (08/29/90)

In <15384@reed.UUCP> rbrewer@reed.bitnet (Robert S. Brewer,Box129,7771551,,7754134) writes:

>In article <13043@hydra.gatech.EDU> ccastvf@prism.gatech.EDU (Vincent Fox) writes:
>>The 2.4Beta I found for ftp is the MacTCP version. Strangely enough
>>zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu doesn't have the MacTCP drivers nor does
>>Sumex. Any ideas where I can dig up a copy?

>The reason you can't find MacTCP for anonymous ftp is because it is a
>copyrighted work, and _not_ publicly redistributable. You can purchase a one
>copy license from APDA for ~$100, or if you belong to an organization, you can
>get a site license ($1000-$2000?). There are some products (like Mathematica)
>which have MacTCP bundled with them. Better call APDA...

>Disclaimer: Not that it really matters, but I am affiliated with Wolfram
>Research, Inc., makers of Mathematica.

Okay, next obvious question to the net. Has NCSA decided to make us
dependent on purchasing MacTCP? The nice thing about it to me was being
able to ftp to zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu and grab the latest copy. If NCSA
has decided to stop including the drivers in their new version, we will
just have to stick with 2.2. MacTCP is fine for a few machines, but
very expensive for clusters full. Plus the problem that your average
MacDummy will come along, open the control panel, and type some random
numbers into the IP number box to see what happens.

resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) (08/29/90)

ccastvf@prism.gatech.EDU (Vincent Fox) writes:

>Okay, next obvious question to the net. Has NCSA decided to make us
>dependent on purchasing MacTCP? The nice thing about it to me was being
>able to ftp to zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu and grab the latest copy. If NCSA
>has decided to stop including the drivers in their new version, we will
>just have to stick with 2.2. MacTCP is fine for a few machines, but
>very expensive for clusters full. Plus the problem that your average
>MacDummy will come along, open the control panel, and type some random
>numbers into the IP number box to see what happens.

Well, I can't say if NCSA is going to be only using MacTCP, but you do
get a couple of things wrong:

1. Version 2.3 of NCSA Telnet still has the NCSA TCP drivers. People
continue to use 2.2 with all of its bugs even though 2.3 has been out
for a long time. I think some companies are still distributing 2.2
with hardware. Look out for it!

2. Granted MacTCP gets expensive for a site-license, but if you are at
a university, let the U pick up the tab and get the license for the
whole place. It gets cheap pretty quick.

3. MacDummy can't change the Control Panel if you set it up in the
protected mode with AdminTCP, which comes with MacTCP. And MacDummy
can always change the IP number in NCSA Telnet with NCSA TCP drivers.
Safer with MacTCP.

MacTCP is really the way to go. Though NCSA's TCP is great, it is
missing the ability to do multiple streams, etc., and as NCSA says
in the manual, TCP should be a OS responsibility and not part of
the applications.

pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (08/29/90)

From article <1990Aug28.222924.18488@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, by resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick):
> 2. Granted MacTCP gets expensive for a site-license, but if you are at
> a university, let the U pick up the tab and get the license for the
> whole place. It gets cheap pretty quick.

UW-Madison has a site license, so I bought a copy.  I'm confused by the
documentation.  It sounds like the admin sets up a disk for users and then
just gives it away as many times as he likes.  It says nothing about
needing a license for each user-disk given away.  How does one interpret
this?

Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton) (08/30/90)

In article <3007@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:

>UW-Madison has a site license, so I bought a copy.  I'm confused by the
>documentation.  It sounds like the admin sets up a disk for users and then
>just gives it away as many times as he likes.  It says nothing about
>needing a license for each user-disk given away.  How does one interpret
>this?
>
>Paul DuBois
>dubois@primate.wisc.edu

The AdminTCP cDEV is for a network administrator to set up a MacTCP
master disk with numbers that can't be tampered with.  The assumption
in the documentation is that a local network administrator, who keeps
track of things like IP addresses, will be responsible for configuring
MacTCP, and the user will then just drop it into the system folder.
The administrator either sets up an individual disk for a user who has
bought MacTCP, or sets up a master for locations with a site license.
(The basic point being to have a network administrator do the
configuration, rather than a user who may not know what he or she is
doing.)

David

--
David Walton            Internet: dwal@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago   {  Any opinions found herein are mine, not  }

timk@yoyodyne.ncsa.uiuc.edu (08/30/90)

The site license from Apple as I remember it grants an unlimited
number of copies of MacTCP for use on Macintoshes owned by the
institution.  The site license eliminates the need for single
machine licenses.  The original price for the site license was
$1000 for a Univ., $2500 for Corp, no renewal required.

BTW, the APDA package includes the developer's docs, include
files and a one-machine license (approx $100).

For the record, NCSA Telnet version 2.3 from NCSA was shipped
in two versions, one which uses MacTCP (but does not come with it
because Apple owns MacTCP) and one which works on its own without
MacTCP.

(written without the license in front of me  :-)

Tim Krauskopf

jprovidak@mwunix.mitre.org (James Providakes) (08/31/90)

Can someone give me the IP number for naphod.ncsa.uica.  I would like to
try the 2.4Beta version of Telnet.  Thanks

finn@uinpla.npl.uiuc.edu (Mike Finn) (09/01/90)

In article <118708@linus.mitre.org>, jprovidak@mwunix.mitre.org (James Providakes) writes:
>Can someone give me the IP number for naphod.ncsa.uica.  I would like to
>try the 2.4Beta version of Telnet.  Thanks

You must zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu? It's addresses are:

	128.174.20.50
	128.174.25.50

It's in NCSA_Telnet/Mac/Telnet2.4Beta

Mike Finn              finn@uinpla.npl.uiuc.edu,UINPL::FINN,FINN@UIUCNPL