[comp.sys.mac.apps] Missing Space

mwartak@pro-angmar.UUCP (Martin Wartak) (08/31/90)

I think my hard disk has a problem.  In the finder it ways that there is
83,458K in the disk.  However, when I add up the size of all the files on the
disk (including the invisible ones) it says I only used 80,251K.  Can anyone
tell me what happened to the other 3 MB?  Many thanks.

---
Martin Wartak                |  InterNet: pro-angmar!mwartak@alphalpha.com
Twisted Pair Consulting      |  UUCP:     !uunet!alphalpha!pro-angmar!mwartak
AOL: MartinW  CI$: 72357,313 |  FidoNet:  Martin Wartak at 1:101/121
        "A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory."

dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) (08/31/90)

In article <1025.mac.apps@pro-angmar> mwartak@pro-angmar.UUCP (Martin Wartak) writes:
>I think my hard disk has a problem.  In the finder it ways that there is
>83,458K in the disk.  However, when I add up the size of all the files on the
>disk (including the invisible ones) it says I only used 80,251K.  Can anyone
>tell me what happened to the other 3 MB?  Many thanks.

There's no problem with your disk. The two different figures come from
the fact that a file being saved on a disk has space assigned to it in
standard sized chunks but it may not use all of the space it has allocated
to it. Take a look at the "Get info" box for a file and you'll see the
two different figures for an individual file listed right there -- the
size of the file and the space used by the file on the disk. When you do
the multiplication to account for the fact that the units of measurement are
different, the sizes are not exactly the same.

rbrink@hubcap.clemson.edu (Rick Brink) (09/01/90)

From article <38550@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, by dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil):
> In article <1025.mac.apps@pro-angmar> mwartak@pro-angmar.UUCP (Martin Wartak) writes:
>>I think my hard disk has a problem.  In the finder it ways that there is
>>83,458K in the disk.  However, when I add up the size of all the files on the
>>disk (including the invisible ones) it says I only used 80,251K.  Can anyone
>>tell me what happened to the other 3 MB?  Many thanks.

I had a bigger mysterious "missing piece."  My desktop listed 76M and the
files only added up to 56M.  After much inspection, I discovered that
size 14 point of my helvetica font was 19.6M in size!  I poked at it with
ResEdit, MacTools, etc. and could find nothing recognizable, so I removed it.
Along with it, went many strange crashed, lost finders, and other assorted
quirks in my system.

RBrink@Hubcap.Clemson.edu