[comp.sys.mac.apps] SuperPaint 2.0a

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (09/01/90)

" Does anyone know what the current version of SuperPaint is? I'm having
" a problem with it hanging on startup. The cursor disappears and never
" return. I suspect it's an incompatiblity of this verison of SuperPaint
" and system 6.0.5. If anyone has seen this problem, or can tell me the
" current version number I'd appreciate it.
"      Thanks,
"		Jai Corley

As far as I know 2.0a is the latest version. I use it all the time on
6.0.4 and don't recall any problems with 6.0.5 for the short time
I used it. (I mean SuperPaint problems.)

Did you try reloading from the master disk? That's one of my standard
tricks if something is that bad. It was a long time ago, but it does
seem to me that I had to ask for the 2.0a version because of some
version of System 6.

If you're using MultiFinder, be sure you haven't reduced its memory. It
comes set with 700 K but to do more than one page you'll have to
increase it. I use 1500. Hmmm, I wonder if more memory would speed it
up when I have lots of objects on the draw layer.

Shirley Kehr

fuka@convex.com (Kent Fuka) (09/05/90)

In <150784@felix.UUCP> kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) writes:

> " Does anyone know what the current version of SuperPaint is? I'm having
> " a problem with it hanging on startup. The cursor disappears and never
> " return. I suspect it's an incompatiblity of this verison of SuperPaint
> " and system 6.0.5. If anyone has seen this problem, or can tell me the
> " current version number I'd appreciate it.
> "      Thanks,
> "		Jai Corley
>
> As far as I know 2.0a is the latest version. I use it all the time on
> 6.0.4 and don't recall any problems with 6.0.5 for the short time
> I used it. (I mean SuperPaint problems.)

I found that SuperPaint 2.0 was incompatible with 32-bit QuickDraw 1.2.
I had to remove 32-bit QuickDraw from the System Folder before SuperPaint
would run.  If anyone is aware of an update to SuperPaint which eliminates
this problem, please let me know.

Kent

--
+ Kent A. Fuka    | Director of Product Planning      | Convex Computer Corp.
+ P.O. Box 833851 | Richardson, Tx 75083-3851         | Phone: 1+214-497-4350

wilcox@hydra.unm.edu (Sherman Wilcox) (09/05/90)

In article <90247.115858RXF10@psuvm.psu.edu> RXF10@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>In article <3765@oakhill.UUCP>, davet@oakhill.UUCP (David Trissel) says:
>>
>>I just got a Mac IIci with an Apple two page black and white display (with the
>>newer card which supports 256 gray scale) and my SuperPaint 2.0a does the
>>exact
>>same thing. The program runs fine on a IIci with a non-Apple color
>>monitor.

I'm afraid I missed the beginning of this thread, but I'm experiencing
a lockup when I run SuperPaint on my IIci with an Apple RGB monitor. I'm
also using the RasterOps 364 colorboard and thought that may be the problem,
but it appears not from what I make of these messages.

egapmh@uncecs.edu (Paul M. Hudy) (09/05/90)

In article <90247.115858RXF10@psuvm.psu.edu>, RXF10@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
> In article <3765@oakhill.UUCP>, davet@oakhill.UUCP (David Trissel) says:
> >
> >I just got a Mac IIci with an Apple two page black and white display (with the
> >newer card which supports 256 gray scale) and my SuperPaint 2.0a does the
> >exact
> >same thing. The program runs fine on a IIci with a non-Apple color
> >monitor.
>
> I had the same problem with SuperPaint 2.0 on my SE/30 (5 meg, RasterOps 264,
> Apple Color Monintor.)  I think the problem is with 32 bit QuickDraw.  When I
> boot my computer with 32 bit QD both SuperPaint 2.0 and Image Studio 1.5?? lock
> up.  If I restart without 32 bit QD installed, only the regular Apple color
> init in the system folder, everything runs fine.
>
> If you have 32 bit QD running try restarting and running SuperPaint without it,
> otherwise I'm about as clue-less as you.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
>                                Robert Falco
>                                RXF10@PSUVM

 Under the Superpaint preferences menu, there is an option of whether
you want the program to use QD or Superpaint routines to draw the
screen. I believe it is set to use superpaint routines as a default.
You need to set it to Quickdraw. Take out Color QD before you do this
so you can access preferences, and then reinstall it once the change
is done. (I found this out after a call to Silicon Beach, and it was
quite a while ago, so some of the details may be fuzzy - I can
reconfirm if you have problems) This works on an SE/30 w/264 board and
Sony 1304 Monitor.
-Paul <egapmh@ecsvax>