[comp.sys.mac.apps] ResEdit 2.0b

dane@pangea.Stanford.EDU (Dane Spearing) (08/26/90)

It was posted eariler that ResEdit 2.0b is available from CI$.  Could
someone who is familiar with CI$ please tell me where it's located?
I just started using CompuServe, and am not yet totally familiar with it.
Thanks.
--
       Dane Spearing        |  Dept of Geology      |    (415) 723-4092
<---------------------------|  Stanford University  |------------------------>

jwwalker@usceast.UUCP (Jim Walker) (08/26/90)

ResEdit 2.0b2 is NOT yet on CompuServe.  However, I have been informed by a
sysop that it will appear there on August 31, which is the earliest that
Apple has authorized them to post it.  I assume that it will be in the same
library as ResEdit 1.2 lives in now, Lib 7 of MACDEV forum.
--

   Jim Walker  jwwalker@cs.scarolina.edu  76367.2271@compuserve.com

ziff@zip.eecs.umich.edu (Brian Moore) (08/27/90)

Somebody did say that ResEdit 2.0b2 was on America Online, but I couldn't
find it.  Does anybody know if it's on that system, and if it is, were in the
world is it. ( Please excuse me if this is an easy question but I am
extremely new to online services.)

Thanks in advance,
Brian Moore
ziff@eecs.umich.edu

Disclaimer:  Standard Issue XJ7-21B

Patricia.O'connor@f555.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Patricia O'connor) (08/27/90)

ResEdit 2.0b2 is not available for posting on licensed electronic
distributors until late in the week.  It will be available from several sites
then, as will the Communications Toolbox files.
                        PatiO

--
Patricia O'connor - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
    UUCP: ...!uunet!hoptoad!fidogate!161!555!Patricia.O'connor

casey@auspex.auspex.com (Casey Cox) (08/28/90)

I was the one who originally downloaded ResEdit 2.0b from America Online.
When I looked yesterday, sure enough, it is no longer there.  Further
poking about revealed that the sysop removed it at the request of Apple
because of some licensing problems.

I hate lawyers.

--
Casey Cox
Auspex Systems, 2952 Bunker Hill Lane, Santa Clara, CA 95054

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (08/30/90)

In article <6740.26DB05A1@fidogate.FIDONET.ORG> Patricia.O'connor@f555.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Patricia O'connor) writes:
#>ResEdit 2.0b2 is not available for posting on licensed electronic
#>distributors until late in the week.  It will be available from several sites
#>then, as will the Communications Toolbox files.
#>                        PatiO
#>
#>--
#>Patricia O'connor - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
#>    UUCP: ...!uunet!hoptoad!fidogate!161!555!Patricia.O'connor
#>INTERNET: Patricia.O'connor@f555.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG

That's strange. I found ResEdit 2.0b2 in our server today.
It appeared to have been there for a week or so. UCB is a
licensed electronic distributor as far as I know, from an
article in our computer center bulletin.

I'm not sure who told you it isn't available, but the information
seems to be incorrect. (It looks like a big improvement, by the
way.)

Steve Goldfield
UC Berkeley

Patricia.O'connor@f555.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Patricia O'connor) (08/31/90)

>I found ResEdit 2.0b2 in our server today.  It appeared to have been there for >a week or so...I'm not sure who told you it isn't available, but the >information seems to be incorrect.

The posting instructions from Apple to licensed electronic distributors were included in a letter that accompanied the disk.  Specifically, the letter says:

"You are authorized to begin posting this software to your bulletin board on August 31, 1990 (underlined in letter).  You do not (underlined in letter) have authorization to post this software on your bulletin board prior to that date."

The same electronic distribution date applies to all electronic distributors.  If what you say is true, then UCB is in violation of the license agreement.

Some distributors 'jump' the post date to have the software available before anyone else.  The rest of us don't appreciate it much.

PatiO

--

jdon@drutx.ATT.COM (BookJD) (09/08/90)

In article <1990Aug25.201824.18808@morrow.stanford.edu>, dane@pangea.Stanford.EDU (Dane Spearing) writes:
> It was posted eariler that ResEdit 2.0b is available from CI$.  Could
> someone who is familiar with CI$ please tell me where it's located?
> I just started using CompuServe, and am not yet totally familiar with it.
> Thanks.
> --
>        Dane Spearing        |  Dept of Geology      |    (415) 723-4092
>   dane@pangea.stanford.edu  |  Stanford, CA  94305  |  #include <disclaim.h>

I am not familiar with CI$, but you may not want to waste your time
on the new version until it gets cleaned up a bit. I downloaded it
off of GEnie last week and found numerous bugs.  Most of the bugs
were associated with the new module that handles menus - heiarchial
and/or color. The bugs would cause a complete system crash with
ID=0 or ID=1 or ID=2 in the bomb window. It is hard to believe that
this version was even released for beta testing.

J. Don Book - Denver AT&T - (303) 538-3001