[comp.sys.mac.apps] help with equation

oh@csc.ti.com (Stephen Oh) (08/24/90)

I have to write lots of equations for my paper. I am using
word 4.0 and expressionist, but it is ratter irritating to
write an equation, copy, and paste it. Is there any better
way to write a paper with full of equations? My system is
MacIIci, 4M RAM with color monitor.
Thanks.

--
+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+
|  Stephen Oh  | Signal Understanding Branch      | Computer Science Center|

ar4@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Piper Keairnes) (08/24/90)

In <1990Aug23.185829.11082@csc.ti.com> oh@csc.ti.com (Stephen Oh) writes:

>I have to write lots of equations for my paper. I am using
>word 4.0 and expressionist, but it is ratter irritating to
>write an equation, copy, and paste it. Is there any better
>way to write a paper with full of equations? My system is
>MacIIci, 4M RAM with color monitor.

Theorist makes up a pretty good report. Admittedly, it is not a word
processor, but it creates some very nice looking output. Of course,
Theorist will give you its own hassles as far as separating text from
equations, so the ole copy/paste might be the only way.

If you find that you are doing something repeatedly, then look into
using a macro program. Even Apple's MacroMaker could help you out here.

-----
Piper Keairnes
ar4@sage.cc.purdue.edu

jprovidak@mwunix.mitre.org (James Providakes) (08/31/90)

You might be interested in trying out a commerical product called
TeXtures.  I can't remember the phone number or address but I am sure
someone knows it in NetNews land.  If you don't mind having to write your
equations using a command language, I have not seen better output for
equations and text.  However, it does have a significant learning curve.
Another excellent product for generating equation intensive documents is
Framemaker.  It has a good reputation in the workstation market and have
just released a Mac version.  I believe it was reviewed in either MacWorld
or MacUser in the past few months. I recall that the reviewer liked it.

ccc_phil@waikato.ac.nz (09/03/90)

In article <1990Aug23.185829.11082@csc.ti.com>, oh@csc.ti.com (Stephen Oh) writes:
> I have to write lots of equations for my paper. I am using
> word 4.0 and expressionist, but it is ratter irritating to
> write an equation, copy, and paste it. Is there any better
> way to write a paper with full of equations? My system is
> MacIIci, 4M RAM with color monitor.I presume the hassle with Word is that it
doesn't recognise Expressionist's or MathType's (this is what we use)
information about vertical alignment, so you have to align each equation (or
PICT graphic, from Word's point of view) manually via the character format
dialog.  WriteNow, while not as powerful as Word, does recognise the embedded
information, so equations are automatically aligned vertically when they are
pasted in (VERY popular with those who do a lot of math typing, who are
prepared to sacrifice Word's power for this feature -- hear that, Microsoft?
;-) ).  There is a Sample WriteNow application which comes with WriteNow, which
any dealer should be able to give you to try it out.
--
Phil Etheridge (phil@waikato.ac.nz)                 /\  /\   -+-,--, .--, ._
Computer Services/Mathematics & Statistics         /  \/  \  / /--< /--  /

roskar@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Veljko Roskar) (09/08/90)

>>In article <1990Aug23.185829.11082@csc.ti.com>, oh@csc.ti.com (Stephen Oh) writes:
>>doesn't recognise Expressionist's or MathType's (this is what we use)
>>information about vertical alignment, so you have to align each equation (or
>>PICT graphic, from Word's point of view) manually via the character format
>>dialog.  WriteNow, while not as powerful as Word, does recognise the embedded

There is an Fkey available at sumex called expr-word or something similar that
automatically adjusts the baseline of equations pasted into Word from
Expressionist or MathType.

--
Veljko Roskar                            | roskar@jhuvms.bitnet
Department of Chemical Engineering       | roskar@jhuvms.hcf.jhu.edu