[comp.sys.mac.apps] Chessmaster 2100 or Sargon IV?

limoges@ac.dal.ca (08/31/90)

Hi,

I'm thinking of purchasing a chess program, and I don't know if I should get
Chessmaster 2100 or Sargon IV. Anyone on the net care to comment on their
particular preference and what prompts it?

Thanks in advance, Bertrand Limoges

Justin_Randall_Padawer@cup.portal.com (09/04/90)

I have Sargon IV and enjoy it very much.  However, note that it
does not work with a Mac IIci.  (I have a Mac II, and the program
is nice in color.)  I don't know if it works with a IIx or IIcx or
IIfx.  I've never played with the other program you mention.
I'm not a pro chess player so I can't comment on its algorhythms,
but it is TOUGH to beat.

kap1@phyllis.math.binghamton.edu (Dietrich Kappe) (09/07/90)

ChessMaster 2100 does not	1) Run well under multifinder.
				2) Adhere to the User Interface guidelines.
				3) Play a decent game of chess.

I really don't know anything about Sargon IV.

--Dietrich--

lcuff@spectrum.CMC.COM (Leonard Cuff) (09/08/90)

In article <3951@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> kap1@phyllis.math.binghamton.edu (Dietrich Kappe) writes:

>ChessMaster 2100 does not	1) Run well under multifinder.
>                           2) Adhere to the User Interface guidelines.
>                           3) Play a decent game of chess.

I have ChessMaster 2000, which I bought direct from the manufacturer
so it runs on my hard disk without a key disk.  I don't know about (1)
'cos I don't run multifinder, (2) is true, but not of great consequence
in my opinion, though it is annoying.  Now as to (3) ...

I have a rating of approximately 1800 USCF.  I wish it were more, but
I seldom play chess anymore so it's not.  If you don't know what this
rating means, then you probably are less good than I am.  (I am not
trying to sound arrogant, it's just that if you haven't played enough
tournament chess to know your rating, you are unlikely to be an 1800
rating chess player, obviously there are exceptions.)

I find Chessmater 2000 is just about equal as an opponent when I set
it on the lowest levels.  I read in the literature that chessmaster 2100
has even lower levels, which most non-club players will want and need.

I played a few dozen games with Sargon II (?) in about 1986.  It tended to do
very well against me in the opening and middle game, and fade rather badly
in the end game if I could get that far.  As I recall I had it set on the
second or third level from the lowest level.

Hope this helps a little bit.
--
Leonard Cuff                 if ( my_words == Rockwells_words )
lcuff@cmc.com                         hell_freezes_over = now;

"I feel like a fugitive from th' law of averages" - Bill Mauldin

generous@dev.dtic.dla.mil (Curtis Generous) (09/10/90)

Justin_Randall_Padawer@cup.portal.com writes:

>I have Sargon IV and enjoy it very much.  However, note that it
>does not work with a Mac IIci.  (I have a Mac II, and the program
>is nice in color.)

Does anyone know of a version of Sargon IV that does work on the IIci,
or maybe of a patch?

--curtis